Green Spinfisher Questions

Started by wfjord, September 25, 2017, 04:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfjord

I installed the bailess modification kit on my green 714 --it looks good and it's very sturdy.

Cranked it around a few times and the entire reel wobbled badly. I worked with it a bit, put the bail release arm assembly back on the opposite side for additional weight and ended up with three steel washers behind the screw as counterweight (which also puts tension on the bail release arm and keeps it from clattering).  That eliminated the wobble and everything now cranks around nice and smoothly.

Haven't gotten the reel out on the water yet, but after playing around with it at home, one thing is obvious --the technique doesn't come natural to me and it's going to take me a while to get the hang of it.

Midway Tommy

You might want to consider grinding the exposed threads smooth and to a taper behind the nylon locknut. Rough, sharp edges of threads can play hell on inadvertent mono contacts or snags.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Tommy's right.  I don't keep the dog engaged and turn the rotor backward to pick up the line on my finger.  If the rotor accidentally makes another complete backward revolution it will try to take the line back off your finger by catching it on the back side of the bail arm.  Your lock nut is much better then the two jammed hex nuts, but it is shorter so the protruding bit of screw needs to be filed off.
-steve

wfjord

Thanks for pointing that out --I'll get rid that exposed screw end.

wfjord

Thank you, Steve --for the kit and your help. Did you thread the inside of the brass sleeve yourself or buy it already threaded?  I'm thinking about trying to put together a kit for another reel.
And thanks, Tommy, also.  I cleaned up that screw end and the bail-less modification looks much better.

A 710 is scheduled to arrive in the next day or two.

oc1

I just took a piece of 1/8 inch brass tubing and ran a 4-48 tap through it.  If it had been drilled to fit over the machine screw there would not have been much wall left on the tubing.  The tubing is available for a couple of bucks per foot at many hardware and hobby stores.

-steve

Riy2018

Quote from: wfjord on October 10, 2017, 04:11:19 AM
I installed the bailess modification kit on my green 714 --it looks good and it's very sturdy.

Cranked it around a few times and the entire reel wobbled badly. I worked with it a bit, put the bail release arm assembly back on the opposite side for additional weight and ended up with three steel washers behind the screw as counterweight (which also puts tension on the bail release arm and keeps it from clattering).  That eliminated the wobble and everything now cranks around nice and smoothly.

Haven't gotten the reel out on the water yet, but after playing around with it at home, one thing is obvious --the technique doesn't come natural to me and it's going to take me a while to get the hang of it.

Where I can find bailess kit?

wfjord

My "kit" consisted of the parts Steve (oc1) was kind enough to send me --in addition to some of the parts that were already on my reel, along with 3 stainless steel spacer washers on the opposite side of the rotor and a thinner brass washer locking down the bail arm. It works great and I like it a lot.

But you have options:

In another thread I couldn't find, Mo was recommending a manual bail-less kit offered on ebay --try searching there.

*If it's a 714 or 714z you're wanting to modify and you can't find a pre-made kit, the best and next simplest option is to get a NOS or used bail wire (part #24-714, style 2) --Cut the wire off where it attaches to the end that goes into the bail arm and use it with your existing line roller & lock nut. Get the flat metal spacer/washers at a hardware store if you don't have any. I think that mod will probably also work on a 716 and 712, although the original bailwire business end on those two models has a different shape.

* https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-24-714-Bail-Wire-Style-2-New-Spinfisher-714-714Z-Reel-Part-A32-6/373248417025?hash=item56e756dd01:g:DbYAAOSwxDVfdmu4

Riy2018

Thank you!. I will try.
I need one bailes reel for bass fishing.

wfjord

If you get a chance, post a pic of your reel progress.