Removing "stuck" parts

Started by Noahg727, September 25, 2017, 04:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

While working on my brothers triton 80w I noticed the clicker plate was stuck to the spool even after I removed the screws holding it there. It's like it's super glued there. I sprayed a little Wd-40 on it and it still won't budge. I wrapped a cloth around a screwdriver and lightly tapped it with a hammer and it's still stuck. Any idea how to
loosen these parts when they get stuck like that? I want to just stick something thin underneath and pry it up, but there is literally no clearance between the plate and the spool.

thorhammer

Drown it in liquid wrench or Deep CreEp for a day or so then put in freezer and see if it comes loose. I imagine you are on a TTS, or is it a Beastermaster? Either way parts are scarce and it sounds like you are corroded into the bearing to me. I'm not sure what a heat gun will do on that finish.   

Donnyboat

Try get a very thin knife under it, be very cairful of any substances if it is alloy, if not alloy, mix 50/50 acetone & auto transmiccion fluid together, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

I had a severely corroded screw that broke off in an aluminum Baja Special frame.....50/50 and several trips from the freezer to the 350 degree toaster oven and it came out like it was never a problem.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on September 29, 2017, 02:48:18 AM
I had a severely corroded screw that broke off in an aluminum Baja Special frame.....50/50 and several trips from the freezer to the 350 degree toaster oven and it came out like it was never a problem.....Bill
I have a stuck bearing in an accurate side plate.
Would freezer to toaster work here too?

Tried PB blaster soak, no movement

Nick

Bill B

Soak it with whatever penetrating fluid you have 50/50 worked well for me.  After a day of soaking freeze/toast, and repeat.  You may have to do it several times, but you will be amazed when it finall does work.  Let us know how it works out.   Bill

ReelFishingProblems

Okay,
Two more questions, how long do you leave it in 350 degree oven? And what do you use as a screw driver for an accurate bearing cap since the slot is a half inch long?

Thanks
Nick

Bill B

I have not worked on an Accurate, but the widest you can find.  The wider the screwdriver the more torque you can put on the screw.  In the oven we are trying to heat all the pieces to 350. I used a convection toaster oven for 10 minutes.  A non convection I would guess 15 minutes.  Alan T. had a tutorial regarding removing the bearing from the cup, I will try to find it.  Basically he cut a slot across the rusted in bearing and the cup and was able to twist the bearing out with a screw driver.   Bill

Donnyboat

Hi Nick, I am not sure if you have the spool out of the bearing or not, if the spool is still in the bearing, try to get a screw driver under each side of the spool, & gently leaver it up, not to much presser, I would be reluctant to place it in an oven, poor hot water on it should help, if you have the spool out of the bearing, then use 50/50 acetone & auto transmission oil, & try to lever the bearing out, once again, place in the freeze then hold it under the hot water tap, you should be able to get a thin screw drive, under it & lever it out, if there is a cap on the plate side of the bearing, that you can remove, the hold a hot soldering iron on the bearing, & the spool shaft, good luck, let us know how you get on, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

yes Don again Nick, Alan Tani has a good post, in today about bearings, & tools that we could all make & use to remove bearings, also removing shields, check it out, I`m sure it may held, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

Soak it for awhile in 50/50 acetone tranny fluid, then heat it but be careful not to damage the finish or have the mix catch on fire. A soldering iron on the bearing cap might work better. If the slot is rounded try a coin in vise grips, if it's straight a wide screw driver or a flat piece of metal in vise grips could get it. It might be cross threaded too, aluminum is pretty soft.
Do what you can with that you have where you are