Penn 430SS Pinion Bearing Removal

Started by steelhead_killer, September 25, 2017, 10:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Guys I finally won a 430SS on the site.  Everything seems ok except the pinion bearing will not come out of the housing.  I removed the retaining ring...I have been heating and cooling it... nada.  The bearing is very rough so it has to be replaced or else I thought of just leaving it in there...Any super secret methods for getting it out without sacrificing the pinion or the housing?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

George6308

I working on a 710 on which I tried PB blaster, WD-40, & differant pullers none of which losened up the stuck piƱon bearing. Searched SOL & this site and found recomendations to heat the housing with a heat gun. It came out with no trouble or damage.
As to the bearing being rough, soaked one with Breakfree CLP it loosened up.

handi2

I leave the pinion gear in the reel and put the rotor nut back on the pinion gear. I then put the nut in a vise. The reel will be hanging horizontal.

I have a heat gun next to the vise. I start heating around the body where the pinion gear is as you have done.

I tap on the reel body and it comes off leaving the rotor nut, pinion gear and its bearing in the vise.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelhead_killer

><)))">

handi2

With spinning reels i have to do it all the time. All of them being Penn reels. That's why the heat gun and a needle bottle of Kroil is next to the vise :D
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelhead_killer

Quote from: handi2 on September 26, 2017, 09:29:24 PM
With spinning reels i have to do it all the time. All of them being Penn reels. That's why the heat gun and a needle bottle of Kroil is next to the vise :D

Handi2

What heat gun do you use?  I have been using a soldering iron or a small torch but the heat gun seems a little more practical.

Thanks!
><)))">

Alto Mare

Try your press Keith, I use it all the time , but you need to get creative on positioning the parts. I have two pieces of titanium  1/2" thick that I use a lot.
No need for heat or leaving the parts in the housing, it usually pops right out. I have not been as lucky as you, I've only seen a few that had a jammed bearing, definitely not all of them as you've mentioned.
I do open many of these.
At times the spool shaft will be welded to the spool  sleeve, the press helps there as well.
These are tough little reels, I could pretty much bet you won't find another to compare it to.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 27, 2017, 01:08:32 AM
Try your press Keith, I use it all the time , but you need to get creative on positioning the parts. I have two pieces of titanium  1/2" thick that I use a lot.
No need for heat or leaving the parts in the housing, it usually pops right out. I have not been as lucky as you, I've only seen a few that had a jammed bearing, definitely not all of them as you've mentioned.
I do open many of these.
At times the spool shaft will be welded to the spool  sleeve, the press helps there as well.
These are tough little reels, I could pretty much bet you won't find another to compare it to

You have a picture of that operation by chance?  I can't visualize how you can get any bite on the pinion from the bottom to press it and the bearing out???
><)))">

Alto Mare

No Andy I don't have a pic of the actual removal, I'm not sure what you mean about getting a bite on the pinion, here is a pic of how I do it.
The inner race doesn't stick out much on the bearing, but as I've mentioned above it works for me.
I do soak  part in a bucket of Simple Green overnight before I attempt to break them apart:

Here are the two plates that I use quite often

I also have these ss bolts that I cut to size, this one I'm showing is the same diameter as the pinion, it will finish the job nicely in case the pinion gets stuck flush with the bearing.

Of coarse Keith method has been working out for him, this is just another way that I remembered doing..

Sal
Andy, you're talking about the bearing stuck in the housing, I thought you meant the bearing stuck on the pinion.
Keith's solution might be the only way to get it out.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George6308

I used a Wagner heat gun. I bought it to remove paint.

handi2

Sal I use a socket when the bearing is stuck on the pinion. I use the other method when the pinion and it's bearing are stuck in the reel. I used to put a big fender washer on the pinion gear and then the nut.

Pompano Joe showed me the vise method. It works every time. It doesn't take much to get them out. Just a tap with a gunsmiths plastic hammer.

Its mostly Penn reels that the bearing gets stuck on. It's because they are all metal reels.

I use the yello Wagner heat gun.
Gulf Breeze, FL