Avet exw vs. okuma mk

Started by Noahg727, September 29, 2017, 05:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

I'm looking into purchasing a new 50w reel. I am going to be using it for land based shark fishing. We targeting fish 400lb+.  Iv heard good things about both the okuma mk and the avet exw. They are both around the same price. Anyone have any advice, experience, or preferences concerning these two reels?

alantani

i have both reels sitting here in the garage right now. in terms of overall performance, the two are the same.  close your eyes and crank and the makaira will be smoother, but i doubt that you would be able to tell the difference on a fish. 

the makaira does have several points in it's favor in terms of long term survival.  the makaira drags are greased, avet is dry.  the makaira has a light coat of grease throughout the reel, the avet is dry.  makaira spool bearings are open and lubed with TSI 321, avet bearings are shielded with factory grease on at least one side, and sometimes the other side is dry.  the makaira has a 5 year warranty, the avet has one year.

in terms of being able to service the reel at home, the avet is admittedly easier.  i think that is one of the best features of avet reels in general.  if you are going to crack open a brand new avet to service it (and you should), then you will find it to be fairly straight forward.  even as a first timer, you should be able to go through the avet and get it right.  not so for the makaira.  there are several places where you would really mess things up.  the makaira is pretty tricky.  but then the makaira has a 5 year warranty.

hope this helps!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Noahg727

Noahg727

I was just looking at the mk's schematics. There appears to be a lot in common internally as the okuma solterra and Tg's Iv worked on. I feel comfortable opening them up right now. I guess my question is, are mk's really that different than the solterra's and tg's that I would mess it up? The tricky part on the mk's looks like the 2 speed mechanism, but then again I'm only looking at schematics.