Gear Noise International 130H

Started by 458steve, October 03, 2017, 11:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

458steve

Question - I have an old Int. 130H and I am getting a lot of gear noise and I can only find a high speed pinion shaft for the 130H.  I can get a set of main gear and pinion for a 130 original/ low speed. Can I just replace the 130H pinion to clear this up or should I replace them as a set in original 130 gearing. Thanks

Tightlines667

Usually, it's the large main gear that is the cause of the problem.  The pinion, which is integral to the shaft on these reels works harder, but is more durable.  It is always best to replace both at once, but on these large reels it can get cost prohibitive.  You could try using bedding compound to lap the gears, but if they are very worn, it may not help much.

Here is a new main gear (which is integral with the drive shaft on this model) for sale...

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/5-130H.aspx

Make sure you have new drive shaft bearings, and they are packed with grease first.

John

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

I usually find that its bearing noise and vibration. Not gear noise on these stout reels.

You have to check each bearing by holding it in one hand and with your index finger push and turn the inner of the bearing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

Are you sure it's the gears and not the right main side plate bearing?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Quote from: alantani on October 04, 2017, 02:53:02 PM
Are you sure it's the gears and not the right main side plate bearing?

Yep.  When these reels crank rough, it is almost always the bearings.  The pinion, then the drive shaft, then the right spool, then tailplate, then left spool fail.  You need to clean them thoroughly, and apply some side pressure while spinning to detect wear.  Any felt roughness, and they should be replaced. 

These gears are some of the strongest in the industry, and rarely need replacing.  When they do, it becomes expensive.  If you end up needing gears, and can't locate what you need (through Penn, Scott's, or an E bay parts seller), let me know.  I may have some in my parts stock.

John
Hope springs eternal

458steve

Ordered (2) new 55-130 bearings and will replace Main Gear shaft bearings (3B and 3C on Print) - will post follow-up after replacing, Thanks all

458steve

The answer was a new main gear install and all the gear chatter/grind went away. I first replaced both bridge bearings but the gear noise remained. Gear inspection showed uneven wear most likely from bad bridge bearings allowing for main gear misalignment / creep. The misalignment leading to uneven wear. Good as new, love those penn reels.

Tightlines667

Quote from: 458steve on October 29, 2017, 08:08:08 PM
The answer was a new main gear install and all the gear chatter/grind went away. I first replaced both bridge bearings but the gear noise remained. Gear inspection showed uneven wear most likely from bad bridge bearings allowing for main gear misalignment / creep. The misalignment leading to uneven wear. Good as new, love those penn reels.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.  I think your assesment is right on.  Saltwater intrusion leads to drive shaft bearing failure, which causes uneven gear wear.  Regular servicing and packing these full of grease will prevent this.  Good workhorse of a reel.

John
Hope springs eternal

458steve

Parting shot - Any feelings on the better gear ratio for the 130 - Standard 1.6:1 or High 2.1:1, Been fishing big senators and came across this 130H when the price was right. Thanks.

PacRat

Steve,
Have you ever fished an International before? If you are used to Senators you will find an International to be a bit 'noisy' in comparison...it's just the nature of the beast. If you could post a video of your International being cranked we could let you know if that's just the normal sound one makes.
-Mike

Tightlines667

Quote from: 458steve on October 29, 2017, 10:30:11 PM
Parting shot - Any feelings on the better gear ratio for the 130 - Standard 1.6:1 or High 2.1:1, Been fishing big senators and came across this 130H when the price was right. Thanks.

I like the higher ratio here.  The long arm, and big spool diameter give plenty of power.  I have a thread somewhere where I calculated power ratios for larger Internationals and Senators.

John
Hope springs eternal

458steve

Yes, I have a couple of small international reels: 2 - 30s, 2 - 50s, and started moving up last year with an 80 and a 130 this year to run with the 12/0 and 14/0. Tightline was spot on with the main gear after I changes out the bridge bearings and really got looking at the main gear. My concern is the senators are geared lower in the 1.6:1 range while the 130H is 2.1:1. Right now original main gears and pinion gears can be found so I was thinking about picking up a set of low speed just in case I found the high speed ratio not to my liking. I was looking for an experienced angler to say yea or nay on what ratio works best in this beast. I will see about a posting a video this weekend. Thanks for checking up on me.

FatTuna

I have two speed 130s and I've only used low gear a few times. After shifting, I immediately switched back to high gear. Shifting into low is risky because if the fish makes another run, you won't be able to keep the slack out of the line if it changes direction. The second or two it takes to shift gears is enough to lose the fish. Even with a good wheel man and having the reel in high gear, a lot of the time it's not enough to keep slack out of the line.   

Personally, I wish someone made a 130 that had a higher gear ratio not a lower one. I think a 2.2:1 and a ratio approaching 3.0:1 would be perfect. 3.0:1 at strike and while the fish it going crazy dumping line, then switch to 2.2:1 to work it back to the boat after it's lost some energy. A higher gear ratio would be better for clearing the deck during the Chinese fire drill too.

The think the only time a 1.2:1 or a 1.6:1 would be preferable is if you were targeting something big and powerful but slow moving. For example, if you were only using it to target sharks. If you are using it for giants or supersized marlin, etc, I'd go with the high gear ratio. 

458steve