source for old butt caps?

Started by newfuturevintage, October 09, 2017, 05:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

Checked most of that stuff out, not really the retro "snap on" butt caps. The rubberish ones that would epoxy on with the bulbous bases would give a more correct retro look of the old snap on style over the nylon bases I've used with the advantage of being gimbal compatible in the rod holder.  I buy over older 100 rods a season, mostly large lots or estate deals that I patch up for resale. less than half of the old oak handles have the original rubber butt caps.
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

Here's an earlier thread using a handball as the solution, having others chiming in with ideas

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23153.0
Doomed from childhood

philaroman

hey, stuff gets revived & you get new ideas:
consider lab-quality stoppers for huge beakers (ermine flask... Breaking Bad...  that's how I re-learn, baby  ::) )
very dense, heavy rubber -- possibly "turnable"; good starting shape; solid or bored for tubing

oc1

Quote from: philaroman on December 06, 2020, 11:45:48 PM
consider lab-quality stoppers for huge beakers (ermine flask... Breaking Bad...  that's how I re-learn, baby  ::) )
very dense, heavy rubber -- possibly "turnable"; good starting shape; solid or bored for tubing

You might be able to turn it, but drilling that dense neoprene is really difficult.  The bit just pushes the material out of the way instead of cutting it so when the bit is removed there is almost no hole.
-s

philaroman

Quote from: oc1 on December 07, 2020, 07:34:07 AM
Quote from: philaroman on December 06, 2020, 11:45:48 PM
consider lab-quality stoppers for huge beakers (ermine flask... Breaking Bad...  that's how I re-learn, baby  ::) )

You might be able to turn it, but drilling that dense neoprene is really difficult.  The bit just pushes the material out of the way instead of cutting it so when the bit is removed there is almost no hole.
-s

oh, no doubt...  that's why I mentioned that you can choose solid OR center-bored for thick glass tubing
easier to hold secure & centered to shape the outside
easier to remove additional material to shape ID on one side
then, cheat & plug the other side -- epoxy in something imaginative, that looks like it was meant to be there

CooldadE

Maybe someone could make a mould out of an existing mushroom cap then cast some with urethane rubber.
I'm not that someone but probably have a couple of caps that could be used to make the mould.

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

oc1

That is a really terrific idea Philaroman.  It's not the easiest thing to turn but possible.  It can also be easily carved and burnished with a Dremel or Foredom.

oc1

The local hardware stores have the lab stoppers in a variety of sizes.  There's black, green and sometimes almond color.  

At the pharmacy, way in the back by the crutches, walkers and canes, they have replacement feet/tips of various shapes and sizes. And, don't forget to look at the end caps for chair legs.

philaroman

well now, you're doing serious restoration -- good to know it's still dense stuff
(heavier than cane tips, correct...  those are way cheaper from Wally & some $1-stores, BTW)
my stopper was purloined freshman year & rejected as a bong component 35-y-a :o
eventually it became a butt cap / balancing kit for my fav. UL pitch/flip --  9' Wally Marshall 2-6#
pre-tapped butt for screw-in kit which was extra ($10?)...  not from MY wallet!
long aluminum bolt; 1-hole stopper; solder wire -- balanced
looks kinda' mushroomy & there are much wider flasks/stoppers, hence the idea

philaroman

another delayed idea:
was thinking of this for CF sheets (albeit, limited range)
if it's useful for hard rubber, diameter range looks better for butt caps
https://www.harborfreight.com/carbide-tip-adjustable-circle-cutter-68117.html?_br_psugg_q=carbide+hole+cutter

Cuttyhunker

Perusing My new Jann's catalog, I remembered this thread.  They may have the sought after old school butt caps.  There are more than just shown on this page.
Doomed from childhood

whalebreath

If a person had a lathe they could epoxy two hockey pucks together, work the cylinder down to the right diameter and drill the resultant cylinder out-a lotta work but that thing would never break.