makaira 10II or 16II?

Started by steelfish, October 10, 2017, 06:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

The future is tall and narrows. The only thing you need width for is capacity, which braid makes irrelevant, and arguably a wide reel casts a little better.

Tall reel = big drags, big gears, more power, and self-managing line lay. What's not to love?

alantani

Quote from: boon on July 02, 2018, 05:12:24 AM
The future is tall and narrows. The only thing you need width for is capacity, which braid makes irrelevant, and arguably a wide reel casts a little better.

Tall reel = big drags, big gears, more power, and self-managing line lay. What's not to love?

you know, couldn't have said it any better.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

Boon,  well said. I still believe  & desire at times a high capacity reel that cast well, with a side plate that can be
palmed comfortably.

However regarding the size reel Alex is wanting, I believe what you said is not only true but very desirable in this case... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 30, 2018, 03:51:27 AM
Alex, you know there will always be better reels than what we have  ;D   I'm really surprised you havent given the Avet HX Raptor a try. 
If you would, describe for me the perfect reel that would fill this hole in your reel arsenal ?  How much line capacity & what weight lines would you want ? 

Jeff, somehow I forgot about this question, but the reality is that I have no answer for that, Im pretty sure you know about the search for the "perfect reel", I will try to do my best, but forgive my english, when I write a long explanation I tend to mix some things  ;D

I think I mentioned at some point in this thread, I was looking for a reel capable to handle those big fish that from time to time bite your offering in this zones, I talking about groupers or big sharks of 60-100#, but the average nice/trophy fishes here are in the range of 20-30# while the mayority of groupers and YT are between 15-20#, so I didnt wanted to carry a big heavy fish for tunas like the mak16, penn Int 30II for fishing 15# fish most of the times and waiting for the monster fish fight that could never happen.
Baja Special it a nice reel that could handle most of the normal fish here, its narrow, big drags, not that heavy and its achilles tendon was fixed and upgraded by Tom, so it now boom proof but I still got spooled by big groupers and lost them on their caves, so or do I need a bigger reel or that fish wasnt mean to be stopped by its size, same deal when I upgraded to a better reel like the fathom40LD2, after 5 uses I liked it for everyday use but I didnt feel it rought enough to handle panga fishing enviroment treatment that well, so I sold it.

also, I have another nice fishing zone that is really deep min 350ft max 700ft, you can fish heavy jigs for big yellows but mostly is a zone for bait fishing for whitefish, spotted groupers, rays, etc but the odds to find a monster grouper or shark there is bigger, so, its recommended to use a fish capable to fish 30# drag minimun like a locked penn 6/0 and not anything smaller in power.

so, there you have, a quest to find a reel capable of 30# drag min without locking or maxing the reel, with at least 300/400yds of 80 or 100# braid but not heavy or cumbersone, light and small enough to use it for everyday fishing with my average fisheries but strong enough to stop a freight train if needed.

I know there are some nice options out there, I made my homework before spending $500 dlls on a reel.
my options where:

talica 12 or 16  $459
penn international 12Visx  $550
okuma mak15 $499
okuma mak16, discarted it when I saw it in person, too big and heavy for everyday fishing.
avet HX raptor $500
and few more reels like alutecnos, accurates, small everolls, etc (all these ones were too expensive)

waaaay too many specs to check and too many different opinions on each reel and since I dont have the oportunity to check any of them in person I must read the most I can on each reel to deside, so, at the end I found out the battle for the best reels is like "coke vs pepsi", "ford vs chevy", "honda vs nissan", all reels on that price range and with all the bells and bells and whistles from their brand were good enough for what I was looking for, so I just decided to give a try and put my faith on Okuma this time.

I still havent found a monster fish yet so, I havent been spooled on the mak15, I actually not looking or shooting for monster fish, I found some stories of guys catching 140-160# tunas on mak10 so, that should be enough for a big grouper on a mak15 with more like capacity , so far I found the mak15 to be rough enough for panga fishing, its small for everyday fishing, you can palm the reel and lay down the line easy, with a modern graphite or composite rod the combo its really light so, its good for light trolling, live bait, cut bait fishing and you dont feel overgunned if you keep catching 15# fish, at this moment is a keeper reel.

Im expecting to see the specs offerings of the Mak15T, so far I know it will have the same line capacity, but I havent heard anything about speed, weight, upgrades if any, etc., this time I will wait until checking it in person before buying it, if I get the mak15T I wouldnt sell the mak15 right away but use both for some time and decide if both are on the same league and toss one, I like tall and narrow reels, but I starting to like the low profile of the mak15.

I have a penn international 50S II if I ever want to go for a big grouper or big shark trip.

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

The Penn 12 VISX is going to be the most likely comparable reel if your looking for a reel that can fish 30 lbs. of drag... Jeff

boon

In my mind, use gear for 95% of fish you will catch, not speculative gear for the 5% or less.

If I was fishing mostly for 15-20# YT and Grouper in up to 700ft I would be fishing a 40# braid setup on an Andros 5N-IIa, probably on a modern mechanical jig rod like a Jigstar Ninja.

With a bit of luck it will still stop those larger fish and just be much nicer to fish with the rest of the time. 30lb is a lot of drag; I fish that kind of drag for 50lb+ Yellowtail.

EDIT: Big fish, light gear:

steelfish

Quote from: boon on July 04, 2018, 09:34:01 PM
In my mind, use gear for 95% of fish you will catch, not speculative gear for the 5% or less.

If I was fishing mostly for 15-20# YT and Grouper in up to 700ft I would be fishing a 40# braid setup on an Andros 5N-IIa, probably on a modern mechanical jig rod like a Jigstar Ninja.
totally agree with you about chosing a gear for 90% of your fisheries, but dont you hate when a big fish take your offering and you cannot do anything but hear the reel screaming?
for mechanical jigging and casting irons I have my mind set on a andros 12n-IIa on a ligth rod like those blackhole rods, but for now Im using a musky rod on a okuma solterra 10 and a trevala with a gold trinidad 16 reel with 50# braid and as you said, either combo is more than enough for 20# YT and groupers.

the makaira reel was chosen as small package powerful reel for light trolling and bait fishing for big guys but light enough for everyday use, I was actually about to buy the mak10 but it was too small for 700ft reefs.

Quote from: boon on July 04, 2018, 09:34:01 PM
.....................30lb is a lot of drag; I fish that kind of drag for 50lb+ Yellowtail.

that 50# YT is really a great fish, what reel did you used with 30# drag for that YT?

30# drag and no less is needed to catch these next groupers, not my main goal so, I didnt wanted a dedicated reel for that, but its nice to have that kind of drag available if ever needed.(this guy is a good friend of mine, he actually helped to test the Tom upgraded bridge and sleeve for the Baja Special for few weeks he didnt caugh anything like that when testing it but use the upgraded part everyday for a month on fish half the size of those)
The Baja Guy

boon

Not my fish above, that one was more like 75# and was landed on a Daiwa BG4000 with about 12lb of drag.

When we're fishing for big YT, the three reels I use are a Talica 25, Saltiga LD60 (livebait) and a Makaira Spin 20000 (jig or livebait); not that I really need the full drag output of any of them but we also use the same setups to fish for wreckfish in over 1000ft of water so I need the capacity.

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on July 04, 2018, 05:42:22 PM

more line per turn, more drag.. and narrow
........salivating

The Baja Guy

MarkT

If the 15t were out now it would've been the answer to your 15 vs 16 question!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on July 26, 2018, 01:00:18 AM
If the 15t were out now it would've been the answer to your 15 vs 16 question!
well, actually I wouldnt have even asked in the first place ;D ;D

ooh well, now the hard part is how to convice the wifey that I NEED another $550 reel.
The Baja Guy

MarkT

Yes, you need it. Tell her I said so.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

right!  and tell her i said it was ok....".   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

anyone else?

before I go to have a serious talk with my better half !!
I will wait 3 more days..  :D
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

That looks like it may be a great 4/0 size reel.  definitely competing with Penn's VISX 12 & 16.   Between the new Okuma 15 & the Penn VISX 12 or 16 it would come down to weight, Retrieve rate of both high & low & which cast best because I would be casting baits.  Durability should not be an issue with either of them. I'm leaning toward the Penn 16 for my medium heavy surf reel.

Yes Alex you need one of these reels for where you fish. World peace lays in wait for the day you receive it... Jeff