makaira 10II or 16II?

Started by steelfish, October 10, 2017, 06:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

"it will pay for itself in less than a year!"  One of my favorites, hardly ever works though
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

a friend just brought by a penn 12 visx.  we loaded the reel with 500 yards of 80 pound braid.  he wanted to add an 80 pound fluoro topshot, but a 40 pound (50%) drag setting at full was not workable.  i dialed it back to 30 pounds and was still not happy.  i set the dra to 18 pound at the "3" setting and got 26 pounds at full.  i was hoping the reel would deliver much more, but it did not.  we'll see what the new okuma makaira 15T delivers.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

Alan, that sounds like a messed up drag cam that may not have received a final grind ?

I have no real clue. I havent even held any VISX reel yet...jeff

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on July 30, 2018, 04:59:04 AM
a friend just brought by a penn 12 visx.  we loaded the reel with 500 yards of 80 pound braid. .......... i dialed it back to 30 pounds and was still not happy.

30# and still not happy?

Alan, have you test the mak10 to check how it feels with 30# at full?

my mak15 is set at 24# strike and 30# full (average) and it feels really nice, handle pretty smooth and not a single sign of binding.
I normally fish it with the lever before the strike mark, then if its a nice fish pull line I move the lever to strike, just few times I have moved the lever pass the bump after strike mark (+- "3" mark), I have never have the need to push it to full yet, not a single complaint.

not a rush to get the mak15T but its like a magnet and Im steelfish, sooo... LOL

The Baja Guy

alantani

sorry, made a mistake above.  the 12 visx was 18 pounds at strike and 26 pounds at full.  i was hoping for 30 pounds at full with an 18 pound strike setting. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on October 10, 2017, 06:41:10 PM
well, although I really like my Fathom 40LD2 a close friend just bought it from me on my last fishing trip, he liked that much with the tani 4/0 grip and Tani treatment on the bearings that he just gave me the money of the reel, grip and line (400yds 80#), so, now Im in the market for a new reel on those specs or better but I would like to try Okuma this time, I have always have my eyes on the killing machine makaira reel.

what it would be the closest makaira model to a fathom/torque 40ld2 in line capacity?

seems like the mk15 is the really close to a 40LD2 but the line capacity is bit less and I was actually thinking to use 100# this time for grouper fishing so, Mak16 might be the ticket but it jumps from 26oz to 40oz and dont know if it would see much action other than grouper fishing or fishing on deep reefs.

I remember this question like if was made yesterday, I ended up getting a Mak15 SEA and love it.... but, well this is not fair, 2 years later Okuma launch the reel I was looking for.. the Mak15T  (mak15 Tall) that fill the gat between the mak15 and the mak16.
in size and line capacity its really comparable to the Fathom 40LD2 I had and torque 40LD2, in fact the makaira line up is more comparable with the international 12 and 16 VISX and 16.

ooh well, I dont see me getting another $500 reel soon but I least I know I can get it when I wanted aka after my kids finish the school or win the lotto  ;D
The Baja Guy

MarkT

I have a silver 15T SEa on order!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Alex, more than likely another year if not longer before I purchase another reel of this level. I was hoping for a 30 - 50 size reel for fishing from the shore in Texas. Oh well I have plenty of reels that work well enough for most of my fishing... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 11, 2019, 11:17:09 PM
Alex, more than likely another year if not longer before I purchase another reel of this level. I was hoping for a 30 - 50 size reel for fishing from the shore in Texas. Oh well I have plenty of reels that work well enough for most of my fishing... Jeff

I know what you mean compadre.

I really dont need (did I said that?) anothe $550 reel for the 80-90% of my fishing other than my mak15, even the Baja Special covers the same percentage, same deal with the penn 113HXN and for the Sierras, corvinas, triggers, well you can catch those fish even with low profile reels or my Abu Garcia round reels.
when looking for bigger fish which I dont normally do, I have the sealine 900h with new dragstack from the Boss and currently working on the penn 116L 12/0 reel for the monsta' of the deep.
having said this... still want the mak15T  ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Right I'd like two Avet HX Raptors. Wish I'd never sold the one I had. The new Mak 15T is interesting. I'm sure it will make more fishable drag than the HX but I doubt it will cast as well.

Dont need any more drag than the HX Raptor can make in this size reel. I will be waiting to get my hands on a 15T to see how it casts... Jeff

MarkT

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 12, 2019, 12:41:53 AM
Right I'd like two Avet HX Raptors. Wish I'd never sold the one I had. The new Mak 15T is interesting. I'm sure it will make more fishable drag than the HX but I doubt it will cast as well.

Dont need any more drag than the HX Raptor can make in this size reel. I will be waiting to get my hands on a 15T to see how it casts... Jeff

The 15T will be to supplement my HX Raptor. The Mak for live bait and dropper loop and the HXR for casting and yoyo.

SoCalAngler

What do you guys think you will fish on the 15T, 50 lb toppers? I guess you could do 60 lb topshots but going to like 80 lb braid to 60 lb even with a short topshot will that leave enough yardage on the reel to catch fish here on the left coast? For the type of fishing I do with a 60 lb topshot I would feel safer with more backing. For me 60 lb toppers usually means larger fish like mid sized tuna, say 80 to 100 lbs, which could mean a 150 lber or larger could bite. Threasher's, Mako's and billfish will also fall into this sized reel given its drag and power but IMO will need heavier topshots.

Don't get me wrong the 15T does fill a niche but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how one would set it up here on the west coast?

Edit: I just checked the specs so 300 or more yds of 80 lb braid will do for those 60 lb toppers.

MarkT

I'll probably go with 400-500 yds of 80# Powerpro with a 60# leader.