CS 501

Started by Rancanfish, October 24, 2017, 01:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I guess if you are going to ask a question, it should be about Alan's favorite Pro Gear, eh?

Anyway, Randy Pauly set me up a deal I couldn't refuse on a CS501 and I just tore it apart when it came in. (Because you just have to look inside, right?).

I noticed I only have a 1/8 of a turn of the drag before it's almost locked.  I mean there is a very slight drag, and then whoa!  I mean tight enough that I'm pretty sure I'd be looking for a new main & pinion if I tried to stop something big.

Where should I start looking?  I did notice that it had 4 shims above the spool bearing, but that is for centering up the spool I thought? I noticed the drag was quick before I tore it apart, and I put it back together the way I found it.  Not saying it's right, just that it's the same.

Help!

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

is the slotted metal drag washer in it's proper place?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rancanfish

Alan, do you mean the one at the top of the stack?  The one the slotted spacer drops into?  If so, yes. (I'm going to check again..).

I've been staring at the schematic for my CS 625 trying to see what I'm missing.

Edit:  I only have the two tension washers and the star on so far, so it was easy to check, and it seems good. Unless it's supposed to be flush with the top of the a/r bearing?  I'm going to run out to the garage and grab my other 501 to check.

Edit again: I pulled out the four shims. I have no idea what they were for. But I have a bit better drag range. Not perfect, but better.  I checked out the spacer height on the other 501 and it was the same.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.