Penn Z-series Emblems

Started by Ruffy, October 26, 2017, 01:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

Hi All,
This website has corrupted me, when I saw a greenie 704 I had to have it. I've given it a once-over including replacing the bail with a newer revision I'd purchased for a 705Z. The 705 will get the older style bail arm and be sold, I'd wanted left hand drive but couldn't find one until now. I was cleaning the body in thinners to get the brown beeswax out and the emblem came right off. What glue is best to put it back on? I guess I don't want to use a permanent glue in case I need to take it off in the future, something like Penn has used (and lasted this long) seems just the ticket. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Andrew

handi2

Probably a good hot melt glue. Be careful the emblem is very thin. Only a tiny bit of glue or it will come out the sides. I have used thick super glue too.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

STRIPER LOU

I have used clear silicone caulk and glue on these with good results.

As Keith said, ..... a little dab will do ya!

............Lou

Midway Tommy

This probably won't work for you but I don't want them ever coming loose so I use 2 part epoxy. It's waterproof and holds tight. Heat from, say a hairdryer, will soften the epoxy if need be for removal. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Why would you want to take it off in the future.  The side plate is going to last longer then the medallion anyway.  Marine epoxy.
-steve

Ruffy

Hi Steve,
Given that they're harder to come by these days I just thought that by not making it permanent I could reuse it should anything happen to this reel. Or if in future I wanted to give this reel a paint job I could reuse it. My concern is that as Keith said, it's very thin! I'd hate to use a epoxy, try to take it off down the line for whatever reason and ruin it.

Cheers,
Andrew

George6308

Welwood contact cement works fine. I believe the factory used Goodyear Piobond which is a rubber contact cement.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: George6308 on October 26, 2017, 10:42:25 PM
Welwood contact cement works fine. I believe the factory used Goodyear Piobond which is a rubber contact cement.

Weldwood or any other contact cement, is not waterproof at all.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

You could get the medallion off by heating regardless of what you use to glue it.
-steve