Conflict vs Clash

Started by biggiesmalls, October 26, 2017, 02:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Wondering which Penn spinner I should go with.

I have a 3000 and 4000 Battle right now, which are pretty good reels for the ~$110 they cost. However, I feel that they're a little bit bigger than I really need. A 2500-sized spinner can hold at least 300 yards of 20 lb braid (.008" diameter) and put out over 10 lbs of usable drag, usually 12+ lbs. I am confident that a reel of this size, with the proper rod, could handle any fish 30 lbs or less.
I'm also going to get a 1000-sized for ultralight fishing, and a 6000-sized for tarpon, sharks, and other larger fish.

I'm wondering what to switch over to though. I like the Conflicts - because they come in a multitude of sizes, I found them new on eBay for $80 (with $20 shipping from Malaysia).
The Clash seems to be more highly recommended though - for $130 new. I don't like two things on this reel - the color scheme (I much prefer the black/gunmetal), and the fact that I can't get it in a 1000 size (I'd prefer everything to match). It does seem to be a far superior reel, though.

Thoughts on Conflict vs Clash?
Drew

The Conflict has recently been changed/updated so beware of good deals, you may just be getting the older model that should be in price cuts anyway.  My Conflict was a 2500 in the older version.  It performed well, its finish was much better than the Battles I see in folks hands, but its all in how you take care of your stuff.  I also have a 2500 and 3000 size Clash.  It is light years better in features and you can tell in using it.  I sold my Conflict.  I do not get as much braid on them as you are looking for.

johndtuttle

Clash has machined Aluminum main gear which is absolutely worth every extra cent.

I also have a  Abuv revo2 inshore spinning that uses the same machined gears with a little nicer spool than the Clash.

Selling it spooled with #20 spider wire ocean camo (blue) for $125 shipped.

best, John

Keta

I have a 1000 Conflict I use for bass and kokanee and like the reel a bit better than my 4000 Battle II.  The next size up would be a better choice for my needs due to lmited line capacity when jigging for deep fish.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain