Tsunami TTSU-601H Tuff Stand-Up

Started by Lugnut5, October 28, 2017, 03:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lugnut5

Does anybody know about this rod. I'm looking for something to do double duty for ling cod at 150+ ft, and fly-lining live bait for 10-30# YFT.
Would this be a good match for my hot rod 6/0?
Thx in adv.
Lugnut5

MarkT

I'd guess it's a 30# rod.  What are you looking to use it with? I'd use 80# on a 6/0 for trolling or dropper loop.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

FatTuna

Personally, I'm done with Tsunami rods. I've broken too many of them. Plus they have little to no sensitivity.

Why spend all that money to hot rod a reel and then pair it up with a rod that retail for $50? Just my two cents. Shimano makes really nice factory rods.

Lugnut5

Thanks for the info. I've read about Tsunami's breaking, and guide problems.
What model Shimano rod do you think would pair well with my upgraded 6/0 for use on deep rock fishing, yet still be able to drift a live bait out on a tuna drift? Or maybe that's an impossible feat for any one rod...

Lugnut5

Quote from: MarkT on October 28, 2017, 03:45:46 AM
I'd guess it's a 30# rod.  What are you looking to use it with? I'd use 80# on a 6/0 for trolling or dropper loop.
It's actually rated at 80#. But from the reports that I keep seeing about Tsunami's failing on big fish, and their guide issues, makes me think it's not the right choice.
I want to match my upgraded 6/0 with a rod that I could use for deep rock fish, trolling for tuna, and perhaps even floating out a live bait on a tuna drift.

FatTuna

I've been really happy with the Shimano Tallus bluewater series of rods. They have a really good action and are moderately priced. They used to have a lifetime warranty but too many people abused the system and now it's gone. I got grandfathered in on about 8 of my rods. Haven't had to make any claims.

I would wait to hear from the west coast guys on line specs.

You could always get a custom rod built too. I have a few and they are the absolute best.

Lugnut5

I looked at the Tallus. I like it alot, especially the 6-6, med-heavy, fast-action, 50-100#.
I think that will fit me and my reel nicely.
Thanks for the tip!

thorhammer

We have used the Thallus for offshore trolling for about ten years off of NC. Nice actions in the standup; should do what you want easily. What I like about them is they use oversize Aftco Bigfoot series on stripper and tip, with large turbo's in between, that allow easy knot clearance or even spro swivel if used. Only commercially built SU rod I know of that has these. I think we are using 30-80 but even the 50-100 should have some flex in the tip for those live baits.

John