Penn 550SS

Started by Alto Mare, October 28, 2017, 12:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Hello Greg, no I haven't seen any.
I'm not sure of the age or if it is from the first run, but I have one that appears to be one of Penn very first 550SS

I have a couple of reels with this box, this one for some reason is much thicker, same size, but much thicker

here is a pic of how the handle is held in place

This reel is new, but the lrttering on the emblems is starting to wear

Best,

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

seacane

Sal
Is their a way to completely remove the anti reverse from the 5500SS?
Thanks

Alto Mare

Quote from: seacane on August 27, 2018, 02:13:02 PM
Sal
Is their a way to completely remove the anti reverse from the 5500SS?
Thanks
I do not own any with the two zeros , but from looking at the schematic it just a matter of pulling the dog out
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/5500ss.pdf
The problem though woul;d be with it afterwards, you will not be able to fish the reek, unless you get creative with the bearing, part#20 and make it one way :-\.
Why would you want to remove it completely?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

seacane

I always hitting the anti reverse lever at worst time. Finally I wrapped tape over it and that works but I thought there might be a way to do it internally.
Thanks though.
Regards

basto

Hi Sal
Thanks for your reply. I saw a 650ss with the silver lettering coming off like that. Otherwise it was perfect. It was advertised as NIB. Same box as the one you show above.
I have two 7500ss reels. One has all bronze gears, including the ocillation gear. It has the better pivot too and the brass spool cap. A cheap buy at a pawn shop.
Didn't`t know how lucky I was until I opened it up.
cheers
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

Quote from: basto on August 27, 2018, 09:09:12 PM
Hi Sal
Thanks for your reply. I saw a 650ss with the silver lettering coming off like that. Otherwise it was perfect. It was advertised as NIB. Same box as the one you show above.
I have two 7500ss reels. One has all bronze gears, including the ocillation gear. It has the better pivot too and the brass spool cap. A cheap buy at a pawn shop.
Didn't`t know how lucky I was until I opened it up.
cheers
Greg
Very good Greg, I never turn them down if they're priced right, but sounds like you did much better than priced right🙂.
You could pretty much bet from the 550ss and lower, you will always find aluminum gears.
On the 6500ss , same story, but on the 650ss you will always have a good chance of finding brass gears.
On the 7500ss, 8500ss and 9500ss, it will be hit or miss on the brass gear.
If you find a 750ss with the same box as I'm showing, there is a possibility you might find a stainless steel pinion gear, I'm not sure why they stopped making those, just what the doctor ordered for these reels.
Cheers Greg,
Sal

basto

I will get a 650SS one day. I have a good 9500ss with all brass gears, but I would swap it for a good 650ss because I don't have a use for the 9.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

joe k

can pinion spacer go in only one way..seems like a slight beveled edge on mine or is it worn out..both surfaces suppose to be flat?..

Alto Mare

Quote from: joe k on January 28, 2019, 09:47:43 PM
can pinion spacer go in only one way..seems like a slight beveled edge on mine or is it worn out..both surfaces suppose to be flat?..
No, you are seeing it correctly. Slight bevel goes towards the rotor, but I don't believe anything would happen if you get it backwards.
On the larger ones, as the 650SS & 750SS, there is no bevel, just a raced center on both sides and doesn't really matter how you set it in.

Penn shows the bevel spacer on the 550SS  facing the rotor, I would keep it that way.

Sal

Alto Mare

Hello Joe, I will check tomorrow and let you know. i'm pretty sure I have  one.

Sal

foakes

if you do not have one, Sal —

This will back you up for Joe.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

I did find one , but it is used, Joe might be better off with yours Fred.
Sal

foakes

I should not have butted in, Sal — I was just trying to back you up, if needed...

A used one should be fine for a used reel — but if you only have the one — I can send Joe mine.

I only have (2) — they are kind of tough to find.

Your call, Sal...

Again, I apologize for interfering.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Not at all Fred, I always appreciate your help.
A new one will be a better choice for Joe and I'm sure he will be getting it at N/C, weather from me or you.
Parts for these are getting harder and harder to get, I've seen some new 550ss getting close to $300.

Keep some parts for yourself for the small greenies, a new 716 recently went for $350 .

Thank you Fred.

Sal

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 04, 2019, 02:08:16 AM

Keep some parts for yourself for the small greenies, a new 716 recently went for $350 .

Sal

Not trying to change the subject or derail the thread, but somebody has way more money than sense. Penns are quality reels, but a few come to mind, ABU/Zebco Cardinal 3, first Shakespeare 2052, Pflueger 550, Dam Microlites, etc., that are just as durable & well made but usually much more reasonably priced. I've been keeping my eye out for a nice green 716 & 714 for 10+ years but refuse to pay the exorbitant prices they fetch.  ::)   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)