Edge No. 708 Spinning Reel ????

Started by CaptainRMF, November 04, 2017, 01:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRMF

Good morning guys, been awhile since I've been on need your brains on this one. Going thru more of Dad's stuff and found this stranger. It's an olive green spinning reel with the Edge label on it No. 708. I've asked all the old guys at the boat yard and nobody ever saw one. Been all over the net. and can't find anything about it. I know one of you guys can tell me all about it (Fred !  ;D ). Thanks for the help.   Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

philaroman

has an Olympic/Compac look to it -- does the foot say Japan?  there are dozen's (if not hundred's) of 60's/70's/80's fly-by-night brands w/ a Japanese OEM

CaptainRMF

Quote from: philaroman on November 04, 2017, 02:20:01 PM
has an Olympic/Compac look to it -- does the foot say Japan?  there are dozen's (if not hundred's) of 60's/70's/80's fly-by-night brands w/ a Japanese OEM
Looked at the foot and it does say made in Japan.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

foakes

Roman is correct, Captain --

To me, it appears to be of course Japanese made.

Mid 60's, earliest 70's likely.

Basic design, stamped out sideplate, cast crank, glued on label that can be changed easily if another importer wants their name on it.

Nothing wrong with these old spinners -- typically, if one is opened up you will find basic generic parts of the day -- similar to Roddy, Daiwa, Zebco, Olympic, Compac.

Occasionally, as you open one up -- you may even find quality components such as a bearing, brass gears, steel connecting blocks, etc.

But more often -- the gears might be cast alloy, direct drive, bushing, with some plastic or nylon connecter parts.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

It was made in the '60s, most likely by Olympic. The oil port for the main gear shaft is kind of a telltale sign of Olympics from that time frame. They also made a 712 and 720. FYI, your reel is missing it's original drag knob. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

CaptainRMF

Thanks for the info guys. I new someone here would have the answers, that's why I love this site. Fred, will have to open it up and maybe get lucky. Tommy, I kinda figured a cap nut was not part of the original plan. Don't know if my Dad did it or he got it like that. He was very good at improvising. LOL. Thanks again guys. You're the best.           Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

happyhooker

Interesting reel; I note "Compac" reels were mentioned, which leads me to another query.

I have  a "Diamond  Super Deluxe 730", which I have not done anything with because it's missing a handle.  Diamond info is hard to come by.  But, Compac made what seem to be similar reels many moons ago; same light brown color and the cover screw pattern is real similar.  I am thinking of the Compac Chevron 94.

My question is: does anyone know of any link between Compac and Diamond.  If I'm gonna find a handle, Compac reels and parts are much more available (altho not overly so) than Diamond.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quote from: happyhooker on November 06, 2017, 11:30:19 PM
Interesting reel; I note "Compac" reels were mentioned, which leads me to another query.

I have  a "Diamond  Super Deluxe 730", which I have not done anything with because it's missing a handle.  Diamond info is hard to come by.  But, Compac made what seem to be similar reels many moons ago; same light brown color and the cover screw pattern is real similar.  I am thinking of the Compac Chevron 94.

My question is: does anyone know of any link between Compac and Diamond.  If I'm gonna find a handle, Compac reels and parts are much more available (altho not overly so) than Diamond.

Frank

It was made in the early '60s by Omori Manufacturing Co of Japan. Omori was one of, if not the, biggest Japanese spinning reel manufacturers in their day. They made reels for Shakespeare, Norris, Pfleuger and many other lesser known companies. Your reel has a similar look to some of the Shakes, Noris & Pfluegers of that time frame and looks to be and exact copy of the Noris Shakespeare 2010 like this one. Omori went out of the reel manufacturing business in the '80s.

I would think that just about any similar style Japanese made handle with a female hub and threads from that time period would work.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Thanks for the info, Tommy; all good stuff & that Noris is, indeed, a dead ringer for the Diamond.  Somewhere in my research, I ran across a picture of a Diamond with a handle that, as I recall it, was very much like, if not identical, to the one pictured in the Noris.  Anywho, you've given me another lead to work with.

Frank

Nipper

Hello, all. I have just joined the forum and have been having a good look around the old posts. Please forgive me for digging up such an old thread but I do have some info on this reel which may be of interest. The main post reel was made in Japan by a manufacturer called Sugita. They appear to have operated for a short time in the 1960s (possibly into the early 1970s)  and made only a few models of reel that I can find. Some were taken up by Noris Shakespeare (eg. Noris Sport 2109), others were branded Gantel and probably sold under other badges too (including Edge of course). Four of them were sold a Gantels with a full range from light coarse reel up to saltwater size. Generally decent quality reels with some above basic technical features inside. One of my Gantels actually has "Sugita" stamped inside away from view and it is obvious that all are made by the same maker.

The Diamond/Noris(Shakespeare) can also be found with the Compac badge on it and Compac was a badge of Olympic.

happyhooker

Welcome, Nipper, to the site, and thanks for the info.  Some of those Japanese reels from the time frame in question have difficult to run down history.

Frank (from Minnesota)