Hollow Core Braid

Started by Shark Hunter, November 15, 2017, 07:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I recently bought a reel that has 200lb Fins hollow core braid as the base.
I know JB is respected as the go to in hollow core.
Has any one had any experience with this brand?
I'm tempted to just strip it and put on some 200 JB.
I know the 600 yard length doesn't take up near the spool as 200 JB does.
Any info would be appreciated,
The Shark Hunter.
Life is Good!

conchydong

I've used Fins in smaller sizes and it is decent braid. Also made in Kentucky, so what's not to like.

Having said that, I don't trust any line that came with a used reel as I do not know the history of it.

Tiddlerbasher

Paulus, in Oz, did some testing of Fins 16st hollow core in 80 and 150lb. Both broke well above their rating.
http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

Fins website (US company):
http://www.finsfishing.com/category-s/113.htm

Keta

It sounds like this is spectra backing, I would look over 30'-50' on the terminal end and if it looks good use it.

BTW, JB sells both hollow and solid, for backing solid works well and it is far cheaper than hollow.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I had no Idea it was made in Kentucky?
The line is new.
Guess it is time to make my first serve.

Life is Good!

CapeFish

I have some of their Wind Tamer and 40G line and like it a lot. Good stuff and heard a rumour that they are an OEM for a few other big names, but not sure how true that is. That reel is simply mind blowing, what are you going to call it "Voodoo Child"

thorhammer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 15, 2017, 03:13:33 PM
I had no Idea it was made in Kentucky?
The line is new.
Guess it is time to make my first serve.

I need one of those visors! I was born in 68;  where did you order it?

Take some pics of this serve business, that's a hole in my game I want to learn. Usually I do spider or surgeon to uni knot, and it's proven plenty strong, but bulky through regular Aftco's or HD's I have on most of my offshore rods. I need to learn bimini too.

Decker

CapeFish

Quote from: Decker on November 15, 2017, 04:23:19 PM
Quote from: CapeFish on November 15, 2017, 03:24:07 PM
That reel is simply mind blowing, what are you going to call it "Voodoo Child"

Stevie Ray: http://www.srvrocks.com/FLAC/SRV/1988.08.23_Darien_Center/1988.08.23_Darien_Center_d2_05.mp3

Yes excellent! I prefer Jimi's version though and his flamboyant outfits match the reel  :)

Shark Hunter

The Visor came with the reel John. It actually has 1958 on there. The year Everol started making reels.
My Boy Michael is into making bow strings. I'm going to have him do it for me when he comes over for Thanksgiving.
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Yup I'm with Cape - Jimi's was and is the best - "I'm standing next to a mountain" - And I did JH at the Isle of Wight Concert 1970 - what a blast - the line-up iirc  Jimi Hendrix (the MAN), Miles Davis, Jethro Tull, Ten Years After, Chicago, The Doors, Lighthouse, The Who (their set produced a live album, absolutely incredible :)), Emerson, Lake & Palmer (wow, saw a couple of their concerts, stunning), The Moody Blues, Joan Baez, Free, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Kris Kristofferson, Donovan (always thought he was a bit mellow yellow ;)), John Sebastian, Terry Reid, Taste, and Shawn Phillips.
Happy days ;D Well I was a lot younger, that helped ;D ;D

FatTuna

I would definitely use it. Even if it was used I would still use it. It's backing so it most likely never even touched the salt.

My rule is that dacron/mono get replaced unless I'm convinced the line is brand new. No matter what I'll spin it off and repack it myself. I don't trust anyone else's serves/spooling job. Anything else is guess work. I once bought a reel and discovered that the previous owner crimped his dacron to his mono. I should try and find the picture. It would have been a nightmare. I've seen other serves that only went in 3" or 4".

Any solid core braid that looks used gets transferred to reels that I'm going to sell. If it looks new and it's the lb test I want, I'll fish it. If in doubt, you can tie a weight onto a segment of line and test it for strength.

Hollow core I will reuse unless for some reason it looks chafed or well used. You can sometimes gauge if it's seen a lot of use by the color. If it looks faded, washed out, that's not a good sign. Braid, especially the heavy stuff, lasts a long time. Particularly when it's backing and almost never sees action.

Decker

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 15, 2017, 11:18:50 PM
Yup I'm with Cape - Jimi's was and is the best - "I'm standing next to a mountain" - And I did JH at the Isle of Wight Concert 1970 - what a blast - the line-up iirc  Jimi Hendrix (the MAN), Miles Davis, Jethro Tull, Ten Years After, Chicago, The Doors, Lighthouse, The Who (their set produced a live album, absolutely incredible :)), Emerson, Lake & Palmer (wow, saw a couple of their concerts, stunning), The Moody Blues, Joan Baez, Free, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Kris Kristofferson, Donovan (always thought he was a bit mellow yellow ;)), John Sebastian, Terry Reid, Taste, and Shawn Phillips.
Happy days ;D Well I was a lot younger, that helped ;D ;D

Wow, Chris, great memories!  Hendrix died that same year.  I was very young and watching the Monkees on TV.   

Yes, Jimi is the original, but Stevie Ray was really something too!   

The reel decoration is more hip-hop than psychedelic, but it's all a blur at this point. ::)

bill19803

Darron

the  paulus  site   has  a  ton  of  info  on  how  to   splice,  serve  etc    same  with  bhptackle.com   just  dont  get   so  deep  into  their  methods  that  you  spend a  bunch of  bucks on  equipment.  understand  what  they  are  showing  you  and  improvise.  10-12  bucks  will  get  you  all  the  equipment  you  need  5   bucks  for   2   clamps at  home depot, 3  bucks   for   some   very  thin ss leader   wire  (.011 dia) 2  bucks   for   net making  needle  and  you  are  good  to  go.   no  serving  tool,  no latch hook  needles.  a  small  spool  of   30  lb solid spectra and  a  bottle  of  tachglue.  thats  it  I  can take  some  pics  if  you want   but  im not  good  enough  with  ipad  to  do a tutorial

tight lines
bill

Tiddlerbasher

You are right Joe, Jimi died in the September. Basically killed by his then management and entourage pumping him full of drugs >:(
SRV was a tour de force in his own right. Jeez I miss talent like that.

Our local satellite people, Sky, recently showed the Who from 1970 IOW concert - it's now a permanent recording ;D The shear energy of Pete Townsend, Keith Moon et al simply stunning.

I'm now going back to my quiet room - with my wireless headphones - talking 'bout my generation. Alright I'm going ;D ;D