Okuma Chaser AX 30 Bail does not work

Started by charles9903, November 21, 2017, 09:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles9903

Hello;

A friend gave me an Okuma Chaser AX 30.

I took it apart to clean and grease. When I removed the bail wire, I heard the bail spring/clip pop as I took off the small cover on the right side of the reel.

Looks simple enough, but I can not figure out how it fits back together. (I can get the parts together, but the bail does not open fully, nor "pop" back into place when the reel is turned.)

Have searched Google -- no joy -- other than a schematic for an Okuma ABF 30 reel (not clear on how to re-assemble).

Found this site and joined.

Can anyone tell me how to re-assemble the bail or point me in the right direction? (I've searched several boards on this site, but have not found what I need.)

TIA.

alantani

i'm not much on spinners.  hopefully someone else will chime in!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

festus

I own three Okuma Avengers but have never replaced a bail spring.

But here's a section of a Chaser AX 30 schematic if it helps.

Here's the link to the entire schematic if you need it.
http://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Okuma/Fin%20Chaser/Okuma%20FIN%20CHASER%2020-30(2002).pdf

handi2

It sounds like you put the bail arm on in the wrong position. That's why it wouldn't move fully in the right direction. There is a nub sticking out the back of the bail arm.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

Quote from: handi2 on November 22, 2017, 12:11:46 AM
It sounds like you put the bail arm on in the wrong position. That's why it wouldn't move fully in the right direction. There is a nub sticking out the back of the bail arm.

if that's not it, see if something can be reversed...  e.g.:

• trip lever (305) bent ends are usually different length w/ long end down...  may need to be flipped
  • spring (310) may have different ID at either end -- make sure it doesn't slide past the flattened tabs on the spring guide (309)

charles9903

Thanks everyone.

Bail components are put together correctly, but I can see from the photo, that Festus posted, that part 305 is missing (maybe that's why my buddy gave me this reel). I like fiddling with things. Will see if I can get that part from somewhere.

festus

That's the same part, #23050052, kick lever, in my three Avengers.  You should be able to find one for about a buck + shipping.

philaroman

Quote from: charles9903 on November 21, 2017, 09:24:25 PM
...the bail does not open fully, nor "pop" back into place when the reel is turned

I've intentionally removed that (and other) bail auto-return parts to close manually & minimize wind-knots w/ braid...  should have ZERO effect on bail opening fully

charles9903

Thanks Festus -- will see about ordering this part (the # you gave helped a LOT!!)

philaroman -- I understand, but I like to fiddle with stuff so am going to see if I can "fix" it.

Once that is done, I'll have to see if I can catch any fish :)