Penn Senator 116 (12/0) Gear sleeve wont come free after removing sleeve pin.

Started by JnM Fishing, November 22, 2017, 08:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JnM Fishing

I recently picked up a fixer upper 12/0 on ebay for a steal of a deal.. just needs a new sleeve and the screws replaced and a crossbar post was missing. I took the reel apart for a cleaning and inspection and when i tried to remove the sleeve it would not come free from the bridge. i removed the pin from the sleeve, i dont know what could be holding the sleeve to the bridge without the pin... any suggestions on how to remove the sleeve?

Tightlines667

Heat, penetrating oil and a vice, and/or 2 screwdrivers.  The shaft may be marred, corroded, or bent.  If bent or loose, you may need a new bridge, if the sleeve needs replacing, but the bridge is ok, you may want to upgrade to a Stainless Steel sleeve, and dog, and you don't need to be as delicate with the sleeve removal.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

John is right, JnM --

Obviously, there are a few ways to remove a corroded (likely) sleeve.

If I have a bad one -- this is what has worked for me probably 95% of the time --

Screw the bridge to a chunk of wood with a plastic cap under the bridge for a penetrating oil reservoir.

Fill the reservoir with P-Oil, along with filling the sleeve and bridge post with P-Oil also.

Just forget about it overnight -- then use a wrench to rotate freely.

If it is a case of the sleeve still not coming loose -- but it rotates -- just use a pair of vise-grips or tape jaw covered pliers to pull ot off.

You can also attach a crank nut to the sleeve -- then pull or tap it off.

Typically, no damage will occur -- if it does, best to just replace the sleeve, bridge, and pin assembly.

If the post is tweaked or bent -- just replace the bridge and post.

Good luck, and let is know your progress.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

I have rebuilt dozens of 12/0's.
Never had a sleeve stick to the shaft.
If the shaft on the bridge is bent, that reel must have been put through the ringer,
or dropped just right.
Keep us posted on what you find.
Life is Good!

alantani

if it's totally seized and won't even turn, i usually torch those until the brass glows!  if it will turn, then i clamp the gear sleeves in a vise and gently tap out the post.  be careful not to damage the post or the threads inside the gear sleeve.  both are easy to do.  i'd know......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JnM Fishing

Quote from: foakes on November 22, 2017, 09:36:12 PM
John is right, JnM --

Obviously, there are a few ways to remove a corroded (likely) sleeve.

If I have a bad one -- this is what has worked for me probably 95% of the time --

Screw the bridge to a chunk of wood with a plastic cap under the bridge for a penetrating oil reservoir.

Fill the reservoir with P-Oil, along with filling the sleeve and bridge post with P-Oil also.

Just forget about it overnight -- then use a wrench to rotate freely.

If it is a case of the sleeve still not coming loose -- but it rotates -- just use a pair of vise-grips or tape jaw covered pliers to pull ot off.

You can also attach a crank nut to the sleeve -- then pull or tap it off.

Typically, no damage will occur -- if it does, best to just replace the sleeve, bridge, and pin assembly.

If the post is tweaked or bent -- just replace the bridge and post.

Good luck, and let is know your progress.

Best,

Fred

The sleeve rotates but will not come free from the sleeve after removing the pin. I plan on replacing it and the dog with their stainless counterparts..

JnM Fishing

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 23, 2017, 12:56:44 AM
I have rebuilt dozens of 12/0's.
Never had a sleeve stick to the shaft.
If the shaft on the bridge is bent, that reel must have been put through the ringer,
or dropped just right.
Keep us posted on what you find.

The screws that hold the bridge in place on the side plate are bent on one side.. I am assuming this reel was put through the gauntlet.. I am going to attempt the removal of the sleeve but worst case scenario i will scoop up a new one from Scott's they are only $30. The sleeve just will not come free from the bridge.. it spins but wont come free

alantani

ok, then you have nothing to loose by chucking it in a vise and giving a few solid whacks! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JnM Fishing

Also is there anyone that makes a stainless main gear for the 12/0?

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: JnM Fishing on November 23, 2017, 02:04:28 PM
Only the Bronze or Chrome plated steel main gears for this model.
There are stainless sleeves available.
https://www.cortezconversions.com/product-page/cc-116-116a-gear-sleeve-ss
Life is Good!

JnM Fishing

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 23, 2017, 06:37:30 PM

Where could i obtain a chromed steel gear? not a big fan of brass especially since i will be upgrading the drag..

Tightlines667

Quote from: JnM Fishing on November 24, 2017, 12:31:05 AM

Where could i obtain a chromed steel gear? not a big fan of brass especially since i will be upgrading the drag..

The steel mains were found on older reels for a time.  

MysticParts had stainless steel mains available for the 14/0&16/0 for a time...

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/5-117.aspx

but they have been out for awhile.  It likely won't be an easy task to find steel or stainless steel gears for your reel.  The bronze gears are strong on this big reels.  I have been fishing 12/0 & 14/0 reels with Adam's inserts and some bronze mains, and some stainless.  I have caught some good fish with drag settings in the 27-35lb range, and have not had any damage or failures.

John

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

JnM Fishing

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 24, 2017, 12:39:45 AM
Quote from: JnM Fishing on November 24, 2017, 12:31:05 AM

The steel mains were found on older reels for a time.  

Mystic Reel Parts had stainless steel mains available for the 14/0&16/0 for a time...

ttps://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/5-117.aspx

but they have been out for awhile.  It likely won't be an easy task to find steel or stainless steel gears for your reel.  The bronze gears are strong on this big reels.  I have been fishing 12/0 & 14/0 reels with Adam's inserts and some bronze mains, and some stainless.  I have caught some good fish with drag settings in the 27-35lb range, and have not had any damage or failures.

John

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

2 minutes after asking that question i found the steel gear on ebay!

Shark Hunter

You got me excited John!,
I thought they had them back in stock.
The sheer size of the gears in the Bigger Senators will be fine with Bronze.
I feel what you are saying and I myself use steel when I have them, but I have never seen a bronze gear fail in a 12/0 and up Senator.
This is by hand power. No Electric involved.
Life is Good!