schematics for j a coxe 315L and for True Temper 923c

Started by Noviceman, November 22, 2017, 08:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noviceman

Hi...received these 2 reels in the mail today..total surprise due to a ebay mixup with a seller...All good...

Anyway have been trying to find schematics for both....There is an  old post from 2011 on this site asking for the 923c and someone posted a website for old antiques but it doesnt come up anymore...

Any helpwill be greatly appreciated....

Jim from Wisconsin

And Happy Thanksgiving to all on this forum...

Noviceman

Hello...    Took the Ocean City True Temper 923c apart and when I got to the drag stack I was amazed to find 2 plastic washers under the gear and 5 metal washers on top of the gear?   3 regular and 2 keyed washers... No fiber or any other kind of washers....Is this normal for this reel??    It is cleaning up like almost brand new and want to fish with it when Im done....HELP........And Thanks...

Gfish

Try this for the True Tmp. Onea the pictures is of the schamatic. :www.tias.com/187/PicPage/3924/06553.html.
This seem to be all I can do with address references on my I-Pad. Hope this helps...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Noviceman

Thanks...all I get is page not found??   copied and pasted and also typed it in???   

Noviceman

Thanks..very helpful but still confused..

Shows a "drag fiber washer" under the gear then over the gear a
"drag lock washer"
"Friction washer"
"eared washer"
"Friction washer"
and another "drag lock washer"

Appear to all be metal washers on top of the gear"

Any suggestions for replacement or another configuration??  The drag did seem to work before I took it apart....Was hoping someone here had serviced or rebuilt one of these...

As always greatly appreciate any help...

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Noviceman

Thinking I can put carbontex inbetween...the washers in the reel are all metal including 2 under the gear.  Never heard of that and cant seem to find anyone who has serviced one of these and what they used...was hoping someone on this forum would have knowledge of this reel...Thanks for your input..appreciate it....  have the reel completely apart and cleaned and waiting for the drag info so I can put back together...

foakes

Should have room to do it like a Penn --

Under gear washer can be a lightly Cal's greased CF or a dry Delrin --

Inside the gear, starting from the bottom --

Cal's greased CF
Keyed metal
Cal's greased CF
Eared Metal
Cal's greased CF
Keyed metal

If there is not enough room in the stack for this type of configuration -- either use thinner CF's and metal washers -- or just eliminate the excess until the stack is right.

The goal is to have the CF's between the metal -- starting on the bottom inside of the gear -- and end up with a metal on top.

Someone changed the inside gear washers over the years -- likely when the drag wore out and they did not have the right discs -- or forgot how they went together.

This will never be a large number drag reel, and wasn't designed to be -- so don't sweat it too much -- just use CF's alternating with metal -- and it will work better than it ever has in its life.

Pictures would be helpful, if possible.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Noviceman

Thanks Fred....havent been able to figure out how to post pictures yet but will give it another go....  this reel has one of the prettiest spools I have seen so far...cleaned up like new....Hopefully pictures to follow....

Jim

mo65

Quote from: Noviceman on November 28, 2017, 02:40:52 PM
  This reel has one of the prettiest spools I have seen so far.

I'm betting your reel has the "fluted" spool like mine has. They say the flutes allowed water to drain off the line...reducing corrosion. From what I can see...it must work...most of these reels have nice clean spools. You can see just the end of one flute in this pic, I should have taken a pic of the bare spool. Also, once you correct your drag stack, you'll find it has plenty of power for the design. It should max out at 7-10lbs. These are hefty, well built reels, I really like mine. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Noviceman

Very nice looking and that is the same spool.  was amazed at how it cleaned up...Now if I can figure out exactly what I need for the drag stack Iwill be in business....Sent message to Dawn at Smooth Drag but havent received a reply yet...only been 1 day...As close as I can measure it would be close to her number 4 Carbontex washers...Anyway will wait for a response from her...Did you replace the drag washers in yours??   Anything you can pass along that will help will be appreciated...

mo65

Quote from: Noviceman on November 28, 2017, 06:56:25 PM
Did you replace the drag washers in yours?

No...I didn't...the leathers were in fine shape so I left them. I have no doubt Dawn will have a usable size for you. Even if they're just close it will work fine. The new carbon fiber washers will perform even better. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Noviceman

I hope so....mine had 2 metal washers under the gear and 5 metal washers on top...no fiber or anything else... thanks..

Rancanfish

Like Fred said, it would appear somebody put it together wrong. There should be some version of drag material. Operative word...should. That is if you are thinking like a modern reel journeyman.

However, I have two of the 945F's brand new, one in the box, one with a hangtag. Tried to sell them awhile back and nobody bit. Kind of a low profile Surfmaster 200 size.

But, back to the subject.

Looking at the schematic it does indeed show two washers under the gear. The drag stack has three of what are described as 'drag lock washers'. And two others of the 'drag eared washers'.  It doesn't say anything about fiber, leather or the like.  READ THIS SIDE OF THE BOX!!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.