My Critter Gitter

Started by xjchad, November 30, 2017, 10:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

Really nice job on this reel! Cant wait to hear how your mag system works once you get a chance to test it out?

I am interested in buying the components from you if you would ever consider selling a kit. Currently, I don't have any tools, but would purchase a tap and die kit for the side plate if you were to supply the rest of the components.

Again, really great idea that turned into a functional upgrade on an old classic reel.

Smols

xjchad

Quote from: Smols on December 18, 2017, 03:52:39 PM
Really nice job on this reel! Cant wait to hear how your mag system works once you get a chance to test it out?

I am interested in buying the components from you if you would ever consider selling a kit. Currently, I don't have any tools, but would purchase a tap and die kit for the side plate if you were to supply the rest of the components.

Again, really great idea that turned into a functional upgrade on an old classic reel.

Smols

Hi Smols,
I'll gladly put together a kit of the components for you.
One thing to note is that it is critical to get the tapped hole parallel to the spool shaft.  This is easy on a reel with flat side plates, but on side plates that are curved it's a bit more tricky.
This week is pretty crazy, but I'll try to have it ready for you after Christmas.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Smols

Xjchad,

thank you - not a hurry at all. understand getting the hole drilled parallel to the spool shaft is critical. i do have access to a drill press and can fabricate a jig to get the hole drilled. just let me know what i owe you and i will send payment via paypal or otherwise - whatever you prefer.

thanks again,
Smols

Shark Hunter

Great Work Chad,
That reel looks Awesome!
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Beachmasters closed on the Dow Jones up 309%.......

fishhawk

xjchad

Haha, Thanks guys!   It was fun working with a reel that wasn't as popular as some of the others out there  :)

xjchad

Quote from: Smols on December 19, 2017, 05:43:36 AM
Xjchad,

thank you - not a hurry at all. understand getting the hole drilled parallel to the spool shaft is critical. i do have access to a drill press and can fabricate a jig to get the hole drilled. just let me know what i owe you and i will send payment via paypal or otherwise - whatever you prefer.

thanks again,
Smols

Smols,
Sounds good.  I'm looking at possibly adding the drill and tap to the kit so let me know if you'd like that or not.
I'm also working of final design of some other components to make the kit easier to install and allow it to work on a wider range of reels.
I'm trying finish my drawings so I can start getting quotes on the machining.
Chad

thorhammer

Quote from: xjchad on December 19, 2017, 05:33:19 PM
Haha, Thanks guys!   It was fun working with a reel that wasn't as popular as some of the others out there  :)

ONLY because 155's are lacking your cast control....Squidders originally had finned spool bells to slow them, and guys would use STP in the bearings.

oc1

Quote from: Smols on December 19, 2017, 05:43:36 AMunderstand getting the hole drilled parallel to the spool shaft is critical

Why wouldn't you want the hole drilled perpendicular to the curvature of the flange at the point where the magnets approach the spool. 

Some people broke or cut the fins out of surfmaster spools.  Plastic spools can't be slowed with magnets though.

-steve

STRIPER LOU

Nice job Chad. Easily adjustable and the reel looks great!

............Lou

xjchad

Quote from: oc1 on December 19, 2017, 11:09:35 PM
Quote from: Smols on December 19, 2017, 05:43:36 AMunderstand getting the hole drilled parallel to the spool shaft is critical

Why wouldn't you want the hole drilled perpendicular to the curvature of the flange at the point where the magnets approach the spool.  

Some people broke or cut the fins out of surfmaster spools.  Plastic spools can't be slowed with magnets though.

-steve

Steve,
The magnets seem to have more effect when they are parallel to the end of the spool (hole is drilled parallel to the spool shaft).  I'm not sure if it's because of the physics of it, or just simply because you can get the whole magnet closer than if it's on an angle.  I'm not very good at explaining with words so I did a crude drawing.  I hope this helps.

conchydong

While I might not be interested in the magnet, I like the spacer bars. Let is know if you plan on making a run on them. I am interested in the Squidder 140 size which I think is what you have.

Scott

oc1

Chad, I meant perpendicular to the curve of the spool flange not the curve of the end plate.  That way you could get more magnet mass closer to the spool.  Just thinking aloud.

I initially thought magnets would work better if they were close to the periphery of the flange where the spool speed is faster (more feet/second with the same rpm).  But, I had better luck putting them as close to the axis/center as possible.  I don't know why it works better though.  Could be because of the steel in the journal, clicker ratchet or pinion compared to the plated brass at the periphery.  It could also be because the distance between the end plate and the spool flange is greater near the center so a taller stack of magnets and more magnet mass can be used.
-steve

xjchad

Quote from: oc1 on December 20, 2017, 07:33:05 AM
Chad, I meant perpendicular to the curve of the spool flange not the curve of the end plate.  That way you could get more magnet mass closer to the spool.  Just thinking aloud.

I initially thought magnets would work better if they were close to the periphery of the flange where the spool speed is faster (more feet/second with the same rpm).  But, I had better luck putting them as close to the axis/center as possible.  I don't know why it works better though.  Could be because of the steel in the journal, clicker ratchet or pinion compared to the plated brass at the periphery.  It could also be because the distance between the end plate and the spool flange is greater near the center so a taller stack of magnets and more magnet mass can be used.
-steve

Steve,
Thank you for explaining that, I understand what you mean now. 
I have generally thought that positioning the magnet closer to the OD of the spool would be best as well, but in reality, placement has usually boiled down to making it fit.  :)  I love the sound of a clicker, so I've never removed the clicker in order to try moving it closer to the center of the spool.  Also, I've only been working with aluminum spools so far.  Now you have me curious and I'm going to need to do some more testing!  ;D
I have a brass spool Long Beach that will be next!