What reel woul be best to display on a 1964 Fenwick 12' surf rod

Started by 1badf350, December 03, 2017, 10:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

What do you guys thnk? I have a 1964-65 Fenwick PS120 12' surf spinning rod. It is typical Fenwick brown with early cork grips.
What would be a good vintage reel for this?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on December 03, 2017, 11:10:26 PM
A Crack 300.  Dominick

This reels first production date was 1968.  A bronze colored Luxor B would be more period correct, if you wanna split hairs....

LUXOR LUXE B 1964-1967 flat handle knob, bronze colour, marked "B"
LUXOR LUXE RAPIDE B 1964-1967 flat handle knob, bronze colour, marked "1-RB"
LUXOR SPECIAL RAPIDE B 1964-1967 flat handle knob, bronze colour, marked "1 SR - B"

They were half bale, bronze colored, heavy spinning reels popular with surf fisherman here in HI.

This rod was rated for 15-30lb line?

These Luxor were no.1, 100 size equivalent models, verses the crack 300.  I suppose something in an in between size would be more appropriate.

A Crack, a Luxor(3L-A), or a Centaur from this period would all be great fits for a surf rod.

Could also consider a

-Martin Model 28 (1950s) or 400, both a little light
-Record (500 or 700) predates rod
-Mignon (Mariner)
-Roddy (910-a)
-Langley (870) predates rod
-Heddon (270R)
-Herters (950) made in Japan at same time
-HI (1938)
-Pflueger (631or 643), pre or post dates
-Penguin (105-a), too small
-Orvis (350)
-Ocean City (pre dates rod)
-Penn (712?)
-old pal (cougar600)
-DAM (550?, or Super 270?)
-Mitchell, era-correct models likely too light
-Airex (Beachcomber)
-Ru (Atlantic) pre dates rod
-Shakespeare (2070 or 2090) later post dates rod
-Garcia (496?) post dates rod
-Alcedo (Surf Rue or Oceanic)
-True Temper (747)
-Zebco (Cardinal 7)
-Fairer Bros (FB400, or 450)
-Fin-nor (No.3) sweet reel, but they were made 3-5years after your rod, and they are pricey..maybe $250..GarWoods no3 was made ca.1958-?
-Ted Williams 500 Italian made..cool reel from same era

Or something similar from this era.

Many options of saltwater 30lb class spinning reels from that era.  

I like the Ted Williams the best, but there are some other good ones in the list.

John

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

Tightlines667

Quote from: thorhammer on December 04, 2017, 01:07:52 AM
Mitchell 488 or 486.

The 486 is a cool reel, but it did come out a few years after the rod, guess +/-~5years is still 'period correct.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

Swami805

I had a big green heddon spinning reel on a rod like that from saving up blue chip stamps for about 2 years to get it. Other than that I got nothing. Looks like a long list of good candidates.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Swami805 on December 04, 2017, 01:34:18 AM
I had a big green heddon spinning reel on a rod like that from saving up blue chip stamps for about 2 years to get it. Other than that I got nothing. Looks like a long list of good candidates.

Those Blue Chip stamps really date you Sheridan!  I remember them well.

Swami805

I'd get my mom to shop anywhere that offered them,grocery  stores,gas stations, whatever. Had that puppy all picked out in the catalog. I forget how many books it took, but I was a stamp licking fool.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

swill88

Don't forget your S&H Green Stamps too.

We licked a lotta glue back then.

festus

oc1

That would be an interesting challenge to put together an outfit from a green stamp catalog.  You can now buy an old reel for what the old catalogs cost.  Go figure.  We had S&H and another kind that was yellow/gold but 1 can't remember the name.  My galvanized minor bucket with the floating insert came from there.

A 704 anyway.
-steve

George6308

In Philadelphia Acme gave out S&H (Sperry & Hutchinson) green stamps. Food Fair gave out Gold Sqare stamps. A Gold Stamp sticker gets things quicker. Lit Brother's Department store used yellow stamps.
If a Penn 712 or 710 is used it would have to be a "greenie".