Braid cuts to thumb while retreiving

Started by codhead, June 27, 2011, 05:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codhead

Hi guys,

Yesterday I was drifting some English Channel wreck marks for ling. It was a misty, damp day in the Channel and for the first time in my life I suffered cuts to the edge of my thumb, while laying line back on the reels during the retrieve. I'm certainly no wuss but it got so bad I had to ask the skipper to break out the first aid kit and get a band-aid on my thumb. This was only a temporary measure and obviously didn't last too long (I went through another two).

I suppose I could wear a leather thumb-stall but in my experience, leather and salt water do not make goof bedfellows.

Have you guys suffered similar and if so, how did you overcome the problem.

I recently re-spooled my reels with Daiwa 8-strand Tournament braid, perhaps this was the cause?
The older I get, the better I was

alantani

not sure what to say about this one.  i've used braid for a long time and have never had a problem.  i could certainly see it happening, though.........  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishermans Paradise

it seems to really depend on the braid, I have had problems in the past getting small cuts with braid, but when i switched to a different one, it didnt happen.  I can't speak about the brand you are using as I havent used it, but you might consider regular tuf-line, not the tuf line xp, if its available in your area, its very soft compared to other braids.  If you cant find it, let me know, I may have a sample spool or two hanging around and I'd be glad to send you one to try it and see if it helps.

Lee

codhead

I'd previously used various brands of braid, Power-Pro, Fireline, Spiderwire and even generic brands from China with no problems. I was attracted to the Daiwa line because of its low diameter. I had one reel spooled with 20# and one with 50#: I think the problem started when I was using the 20lb (0.12mm dia). We get a fair tide rip on the South coast of the UK and the low diameter helps me keep the amount of lead to a minimum and using the Accudepth braid also helps me get my lures into the "kill zone" easier

Irish Jigger

Personally I have never had a problem with braid having used Dynon 3000(4 strand) and Power Pro for many years. Some of my friends who still use Dacron experienced cuts  when levelling the line on Penn 4/0 and 6/0 reels. They removed one chrome bar,fitted a leather key fob and replaced the bar. The leather acted as a brake and prevented cuts when retrieving  line. I imagine that like myself you are using a modern high end reel with the Daiwa braid so the leather thumb stall may be your answer if occasionally rinsed in fresh water.

whalebreath

Like others here I haven't had a problem with spectra itself but I do use rubber coated self adhesive tape when the going gets heavy.

Sold under a number of different names it's sometime used to wrap the forelocks of horses and a tack shop is often the cheapest place to buy it-in Canada anyway no idea about the UK.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=31213&cat=1,130,43332 for some more details

codhead

Quote from: whalebreath on June 27, 2011, 04:42:44 PM
Like others here I haven't had a problem with spectra itself but I do use rubber coated self adhesive tape when the going gets heavy.

Sold under a number of different names it's sometime used to wrap the forelocks of horses and a tack shop is often the cheapest place to buy it-in Canada anyway no idea about the UK.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=31213&cat=1,130,43332 for some more details

Thanks WB, that seems similar to the self-amalgamating tape that I use to wrap auto-electrical connections, I'll give it a try & report back.

I've also looked at a couple of products from Charkbait: a pack of "finger tape" and also a "Thumbdinger" thumb stall.

I've also found a left-hand only Jigging Glove from Jigging Master.

Charkbait wanted $42 shipping for an order totalling $21.98, despite offering shipping to UK at $8.50

I can't find a UK or web-based supplier of the Jigging Master glove but I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

codhead

Thanks for that IJ but I was really looking for something that covered my thumb (or thumb & forefinger) only.

A little update on the Charkbait items.

I've queried their shipping charges and was told that was the standard to UK. It seems strange that I've also ordered a set of ten neoprene rod top covers, a neoprene reel cover and a set of four 5-hook squid jigs from the US and they want only $13 shipping via USPS 1st class international. The total weight of that package will be far more than what I'm asking of Charkbait and seems more like what I'm used to paying.

Fortunately a friend of mine is currently working in South Carolina, so I may get them shipped to him and he can either post them to me or bring them back with him at the end of July.

I just wish on-line retailers were more transparent with their terms & conditions. It does annoy me that you only get to know shipping costs etc at the end of the ordering process, by which time they already have your name, address, phone number and e-mail address and in some cases your bank/credit card details.

What a breath of fresh air it is to deal with an honourable man like Alan Tani