Vintage engraved baitcast fishing reel

Started by Decker, December 06, 2017, 05:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

I saw this today, and thought some AT member might like it.   I'd be happy to help with shipping from Phila if needed.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/spo/d/vintage-engraved-fishing-reel/6413180240.html

Gfish

Nice! Whats the manufacturer and model?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Decker

Quote from: Gfish on December 06, 2017, 06:58:18 PM
Nice! Whats the manufacturer and model?
Gfish

I have no idea at this point.   There is some lettering engraved on the bottom of the stand, but I can't read it.

foakes

Looked through around 300 old baitcasters just now --

I am pretty sure that I have that same reel, or very similar --

Most of the engraved reels seem to be old JC Higgins or Wards, or perhaps trade reels.

These Sears & Wards trade reels could have been Pflueger, Southbend, Bronson, Langley, Shakespeare, and maybe a dozen others.

Seems like the major retailers of the day would contract with the manufacturers to issue reels -- and the more bling, the better -- such as engraving.  These make nice display pieces.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Sonnett

The vast majority of these reels including the one at the beginning of this thread were trade reels made by Bronson. The reel in the photo marked Hiawatha was sold by Gamble's stores. Hiawatha was their trade name for all their sporting goods including the spinning rod I bought there in 1957

redsetta

Came across something similar meself a while back, though I think this one was a Great Lakes:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28125.msg324368#msg324368
May assist in the ID?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

happyhooker

oc1

Pflueger made some that were really ornate; more like a Moorish design rather than a fishing scene.  Do you think those are engraved or stamped?  Was there an engraving machine back then?
-steve

54bullseye

Just my opinion but I would say they look stamped not engraved. To much $$$$$$$ to engrave a production reel.   John Taylor

Sonnett

definitely stamped. These were relatively inexpensive reels in their day an produced by the thousands.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain