Crack Contact 400

Started by Alto Mare, December 10, 2017, 04:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

This reel just arrived from Italy, the Contact 400 is still going strong there, and from looking at the reel, I could see why

and a quick look of the inside

On this particular reel, the shell is original, but most of the inner parts are new and put together by the Master himself... Yuri Mabellini

Yuri is one of the top collector of these reels in Italy, a couple of pics from his collection:

enjoy...

Best, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

That is a Wowser! Looks like Yuri has a fetish for Cracks!  :o

On a different note, what is that nasty looking stuff behind the wood stove?  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Wow, indeed. Some collection, some layout. Looks to be mostly, or all European stuff.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

The reel is made in France, one of the most updated reel of its time, it comes with 2 break system, one permanent and one with progressive action by  using your index finger.
The permanent break is adjustable by tuning the button on the left.
You're able to cast this reel without worrying on the position of the line it will set itself. Nice little reel.

Yuri is a repair man for these and many other reels, most parts on that floor are as we have here custom parts.
I'm only showing a small fraction of his collection, there is much more of other reels, but we are talking Crack here and didn't want to post those here.
I'm trying to get him on as a member, it wont be easy on him, but I could help somewhat if needed.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Captain64-200

Here's an old advertising (before 1974 , phone number with 6 digits )
Fred from Biarritz ,

Alto Mare

Nice poster Fred!...thanks for that!

Sal

Bryan Young

Yuen is one CrAck addict.  ;D

What a collection.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

happyhooker

The 400--it looks like a closed faced spinning reel?

Frank

Tightlines667

Someone is 'cracking out' here.

That's a pretty impressive looking collection. 

I have 1 example of an early production larger model.

Any schematics available for this unique reel you have acquired Sal?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Hey John, I do have something, but in Italian :)...here you go:

Sal

thorhammer

Alto Mare

Picked up a another used crack 400 at a very good price

this one came from the UK and it was in really rough shape.

Even though I'm not familiar with these, I decided to give it a shot anyway
Here are all the parts off the reel

There are many parts on this one, definitely one of the hardest reel I've done.
I was worried about loosing a spring or small part, but everything worked out.

And here are all the parts after cleaning them

I'm not going to mention every part individually, I'm just going to show the assembly step by step.
Maybe this will help another that has one of these and is not too familiar with it.

And the assembly:

3 E-Clip on the 2 posts and the shaft,I'm holding it on the tip of the pliers

and this one is done and working perfectly.

Best,

Sal

Midway Tommy

Well done, Sal! I like your approach to sterility. I'm sure your "Crack" appreciates it, too!  ;)

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a Smart ####, but what the heck? HAPPY NEW YEAR , Bud ! ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

:D...Happy New Year, Tommy!