'Green' Sinker Storage Idea

Started by coastal_dan, December 14, 2017, 02:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

I keep my tackle in a bucket, I've found that it is easier than with various bags, boxes, and contraptions...it's all in one tidy place that I can keep track of.  With that said, on a recent trip where on the way back waves were crashing over the bow every 3rd wave, I found that my trusty cat litter bucket and lid combo was NOT water-resistant and certainly NOT water-proof.  So, I have since ordered a Gama lid and await it's delivery.  But until then here was another idea on keeping my lead organized and dry while in the bucket...it also allows me to glance at the lid and know which container has which lead sizes in it.  I'll also remind you that this is a form of recycling, haha  :D

I took the 14 oz and under as well as the 16 oz and up containers on our recent Seabass trip and it made grabbing a sinker really easy between the three of us using the same bucket.

Tog trips are usually the 14 oz and under; Seabass trips use 16 - 20 oz; and the Tilefish are the 28 oz and up.

One other trick I've started doing is using a black sharpie to trace the sinker weights number for quick identifying...I've never seen it done but it make sense to me! Haha.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21oSttq]

Hope this helps some else!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

boon

48oz+.... what sorts of depths are you fishing in?

MarkT

I just recycle my old coffee containers. I guess I should start saving them!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

coastal_dan

Boon - the Tilefish/rosefish/wreckfish/barrelfish trips I've been on go anywhere from 325' down to 1,000'.  I'd say my go to is 40 oz, but I'd rather be ready if we get some good current.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Rivverrat

This is my emergency supply. Keep them in this trey/rack i got for a dollar at a yard sale. Dont have any quite as heavy as your self...Jeff

conchydong

Good idea Dan.
Boon, in S. Florida, where I fish, with the proximity of the Gulf Stream, deep dropping with 48 ounces would be a dream. We use up to 15lbs or more when Swordfishing, 8 lbs is a common weight for Tilefishing in 800'+. We fish mostly electric reels for this reason.  Where Dan fishes the current isn't quite as bad but still I am sure using 3 or 4 lbs is not uncommon.

Rivverrat

4-5 lbs. of sinker weight just beffuddles my mind.... Jeff

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 14, 2017, 07:37:27 PM

We use 3-5lbs for deep dropping for Bigeye Palu Ahi style (flat rounded weights that fit/match a wrapped canvas or denim bag work best here), and 3-8lbs for deep drop bottomfishing in 90-220fa (window/pipe weights, or pyramid/longer/narrow weights here).  

I use bloodline handlines with heavy mono topshots and a pinch puller when fishing deep, just for cost and easy of use, though electric-assist reels with braid would work good too. I have used hydraulic pinch puller, reels, and heavy duty electric direct drive reels too.

I store all of my larger leads in a sealed 2.5gal bucket, and smaller leads in Plano boxes.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

boon

Gnarly. We do a bit of deep-dropping for wreckfish around here out to maybe 1000ft and typically never have to go beyond 40oz. I guess we don't fish the same degree of current.

For daytime swords people often use sash weights, reinforcing steel or concrete up to 10lb or so but you break the weight off once the bait is down so you don't have to retrieve it from 1600ft.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 14, 2017, 07:37:27 PM

:o  And here I thought a 3/4 oz bullet weight felt like a ton of bricks.   ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

bluefish69

The heaviest Lead that I have fished has been 24oz. The heaviest Jig has been 26 & 21 oz SS Jigs.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

conchydong

Quote from: boon on December 14, 2017, 10:15:10 PM
For daytime swords people often use sash weights, reinforcing steel or concrete up to 10lb or so but you break the weight off once the bait is down so you don't have to retrieve it from 1600ft.

This method was used in Florida also but a lot of fishermen now utilize another way. The heavy 10-20lb. sinker is attached to the line using a release clip about 150-200' away from the main leader and hook. When you let out the mainline and the sinker hits the bottom, it is wound up 50-100' to avoid snags. When you are pretty sure the Sword bite is solid (as they spend a lot of time just slashing) you freespool the mainline and let the heavy sinker freefall and this aids in setting the hook. I know it sounds counter intuitive to freespool line to set a hook but the results are better using the actual weight to set the hook in 2000' of water. The swords also usually head to the surface trying to rid themselves of the heavy weight. When the weight is close enough it can be removed quickly and the fight continues without the weight.

Keeping the weight on also allows you to bottom check during the drift by letting the sinker down again and rewinding it up the 50-100'. With the breakaway sinker method, you do not have that option.

It's all good.

Scott

steelfish

Quote from: coastal_dan on December 14, 2017, 04:10:45 AM
Boon - the Tilefish/rosefish/wreckfish/barrelfish trips I've been on go anywhere from 325' down to 1,000'. 

1,000ft deeps?

I got bored reeling on 500ft deep reefs
The Baja Guy

MarkT

Those Folgers containers are not green they're red!  If you want green you need to go with decaffeinated.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

I got bout as much use for decaf coffee as I do for a fork in my eye... Jeff