International 6 jerky drag

Started by 1badf350, December 14, 2017, 05:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navidad Nutcase

I picked up one of these little jewels on Ebay. Someone put some money into changing over the drag system and then someone (my bet - someone ELSE) didn't follow instructions putting it together after a cleaning. As the picture shows, rub marks on the drag cover. ( the drag was VERY jerky, as you can imagine ) Why? because all the belleview washers were nested inside each other ((((. I turned then to this set up ()() smeared grease on the drag cover, reassembled, tested the drag at almost full drag and then disassembled again. The grease I smeared on the drag cover was unmarked so I know the gear is not rubbing on the cover anymore.
To ''1badf350'' I say,  this is a very easy reel to take down and reassemble. Just remember (as you follow Alan's penn 30 tutorial ) to start the disassembly with the reel in freespool and with the drag knob turned as loose as possible. The toughest thing you'll run into is not losing those 4 tiny little drag plate cover screws. Man ! they are microscopic to these old eyes.

Now, can someone suggest a place to find a new spool ? The blue rag in the picture on my spool  is saturated in SaltAway to try getting rid of salt buildup from not washing the braid line down after use in saltwater (reel came spooled with 30# braid that looks new but was obviously used at least once.)

One thing I did was to used hi heat contact cement to glue the metal drag plate to the spool as I did not feel it was right to ''float'' against the aluminum spool on 1 side and have the carbon fiber disc rubbing on the other. Too many things moving, I think.. Don't know if this was a problem before but It doesn't seem like I created a problem by glueing it. I have caught several coho trolling this reel since my modification and am well pleased by it's performance.
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have a bunch of new parts for the International 6 around here somewhere that I have been saving.  I may have a new spool.  Are there any other new parts that you can use?

Navidad Nutcase

Thanks, a new spool would be nice. All I really need is that spool.  this reel is in excellent shape. I'd say 9 out of 10 for looks (dings, scratches ) 10 for 10 for insides  - if it would have been reassembled correctly.  If you had a drag shield/cover, I'd replace that also just to get rid of the rub marks.
give me a price and I'll send you a ??? what,  paypal? E transfer ? I haven't written a check in years. Oh, I bet I could send a money order, I think.
Cheers
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.