First Fishing Trip in Utah

Started by dangalang, December 14, 2017, 11:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dangalang

I went fishing yesterday for the first time since I moved to Utah. I decided to head to Strawberry Reservoir and fish from shore for some rainbow or cutthroat trout.

I fished a nightcrawler under a bobber on one rod and various lures on the other rod. About 15 minutes after I started fishing, I see my bobber dancing in the distance and I run over and start fighting the fish. I get it about 20 feet away and see a big flash of white as it headshakes and finally spits the hook. Excited but heartbroken, I reset my bait line and keep fishing. After about another 20 minutes I see my bobber dancing again and this time I land the fish! My first cutthroat trout and first fish caught in Utah! I think it was about 17-18".

I had 6 bites and landed 3 fish. The biggest looked to be about 20" - all cutthroats, no rainbows. I caught one of the three on a white Powerbait mice tail tipped with some night crawler. Pretty steady action all day, but it was all on bait. The wind picked up at noon and the water started white capping. I packed up around 1p. Felt good to finally tug on something!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

Nice fish.   Looks quite toothy like you need to keep fingers away!
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

HOLEINTHEWATER

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Thanks for taking us along!

Utah is a Sportsman's state.

For years, we hunted Muley's around Panguitch -- think Strawberry Reservoir is a little NE of there.

I wonder if Flaming Gorge is still productive for those giant browns in the Fall?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Nice trip; one thing I miss about S. Minnesota is that we don't have much trout water; when I lived in Arizona, even though a lot of the state is toasty, there's trout water even down in the desert.

Frank

MarkT

Nice! You in the Provo/Orem area or up in Salt Lake?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hamachi

Way to go, Tim! Good job. What kind of gear you using? Even though sometimes I don't get bit throwing lures, they'll follow it in and find the worm when leaving. Sounds like you had a good day.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

dangalang

Quote from: MarkT on December 16, 2017, 01:36:46 AM
Nice! You in the Provo/Orem area or up in Salt Lake?
Hey Mark, aka Cow Killer!! I'm in downtown Salt Lake City.

Quote from: Hamachi on December 16, 2017, 06:00:47 AM
Way to go, Tim! Good job. What kind of gear you using? Even though sometimes I don't get bit throwing lures, they'll follow it in and find the worm when leaving. Sounds like you had a good day.
Warren!! I was using a 1500 size spinner on an ultralight 7.5' rod for my bait setup and then a 2500 size spinner on a 9.5' Lamiglas X-11 for lures (which was my surf fishing setup back in Cali :D)

Haven't gotten into the fly fishing stuff yet...

Hamachi

Sounds like what I would use, except don't have the long rods, old school, too cheap to buy new. Lol

Hamachi

What's a license cost in Utah? Restrictions? Two rod stamp? There's a fish called a burbot or something. Be on the lookout for that one!