Waxing spool with chapstick?

Started by Noahg727, December 16, 2017, 12:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

I got the idea to wax my spool with chapstick. Am I crazy or is that a feasible idea lol.

Shark Hunter

Your Crazy. :P
Just kidding. ;)
I use an automotive type wax.
Carnauba or a spray type.
I guess some chapstick would be better than nothing.
It actually has some Carnauba in it.
I wax my spools before applying line, but after every trip, I remove the line on another reel and apply it again after polishing the spool with Chrome polish. (These are Chromed Brass Senator Spools)
I don't use grease, but others do.
Just my personal preference.
I put too much effort into keeping my reels at the top of their game to let salt water damage them.
Hours of Maintenance and preparation pays off in the fight. ;)
Life is Good!

steelfish

sounds like it could work but I dont if it will add any saltwater protection, saltwater is really hard on metals so, you better use something that is well know to protect your spool.

I always use some flex wrap over the spool and then put a light coat of yamaha grease, and then I spool the line on it, the 1st two rounds of line on the spool will be impregnated with grease and will repel the saltwater.

The Baja Guy

alantani

i use a light coat of yamaha grease. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

At a couple bucks or more for a tube of chapstik it's a costly choice.
If it's all that's around it's better than nothing I suppose.

RowdyW

How good does it taste after using it on the spool??  :P

FatTuna

I heard that a light coating of peanut butter works good.

Personally, I don't use anything but I constantly repack my spools and change backing to keep the line full. I haven't had any issues with corrosion.

oc1

Like Alan says, just slap on some marine grease.  You get grease on the lowest layers of line but that may be a good thing because it makes the water seal self-healing.
-steve

thorhammer

It will be fine.  Carnauba and candillila wax are naturally derived whereas ozokerite and paraffins are synthetic hydrocarbons so cheaper is all. This is how my living is made. 

Noahg727

Thanks for all the advice! Can I use turtle wax? it's advertised to last up to 12 months. Also, the directions for these car waxes say to put them on then buff them off? Iv never done this before but do I need to buff it off after? What exactly do I do?

Noahg727

Here's another thought...can I wax them then but grease over the wax? Double protection ayy? Lol I just got some new mak50w's for my brother and I and want to keep them looking as pretty as possible. We usually go the whole season without taking our line off so I'm trying to figure out a good protection plan considering longevity.

ez2cdave

Quote from: oc1 on December 16, 2017, 08:08:33 AM
Like Alan says, just slap on some marine grease.  You get grease on the lowest layers of line but that may be a good thing because it makes the water seal self-healing.
-steve

Steve,

Your post got me thinking . . . ( about the "self-healing water seal" you mentioned )

I wonder if it would be worthwhile, in addition to applying grease on the spool, to apply grease to the first few layers of line on the spool, as line is being spooled on the reel ?

Would it be a "problem" with Mono ? Braid ? ( thinking about it "damaging" either type of line )

Thoughts from all, please !

Tight lines !

Tiddlerbasher

We need one of the chemists to chime in on this one. But my thinking is mono is more likely to be affected by greases and oils. I think braid (ie PE - - Dyneems - polyethylene) probably will fare better :-\ Open to offers on this one ???

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Noahg727 on December 17, 2017, 04:48:30 AM
Thanks for all the advice! Can I use turtle wax? it's advertised to last up to 12 months. Also, the directions for these car waxes say to put them on then buff them off? Iv never done this before but do I need to buff it off after? What exactly do I do?
Haven't you ever waxed a car?
When you apply the wax, it will turn a frosty white when dry. Then you rub it off with a soft cloth.
Life is Good!

oc1

I'm not a chemist but the chemical compatibility charts for nylon (mono) and polyethylene (spectra/dyneema) say they are not affected by gasoline and grease.

Dave, someone here once mentioned putting grease on the lowest layers of line.  Can't remember or find it again but it might have been Alex.
-steve