Tyrnos 12ii after service, Am I tripping?

Started by D.DAY, December 16, 2017, 10:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.DAY

So I received the 12ii I purchased on ebay and after i cleaned all the dried mud off of it (Cat fisherman?), it was in surprisingly great condition.
I purchased a new drag washer from Dawn along with some Cal's grease and tore into this reel for service.
Overall it went great following various tutorials here.
Q:So after its all back together, High speed seems more rough than low. AM I tripping or does anybody feel I may have flipped something around? Low feels like it should and high speed feels like a little more grindy and a little more resistance on the handle turn.

Thanks all     

handi2

High gear will have more resistance in turning the handle. Low will be super easy to reel. If you feel any vibration or grinding one of the gears may be upside down. Put the gears in with the deeper depressions facing each other and try again.

With the drive bearings hold them and push with your finger while turning. If you feel anything get another one.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

just finished working on a tyrnos 10 two speed.  the high speed main gear teeth were all burred.  the owner was using 20 pound test mono, so there was no way that the drag had been set that high.  still, there was a noticeable rumble when you cranked  and this is after all new bearings.  i think it's just the reel.  maybe the particular stainless steel that was used for the gears is softer than most.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

D.DAY

Ok then it sounds right. High speed does have a little more resistance for sure. I did have the Shimano diagram up and followed it the best I could. Bearings were good. TG0990 looked reversed but doesn't look like it effects play. I may just live with it because I went ahead and spooled it up with some #65 Yozuri braid and it felt fine on a rod, line through the guides.

If it gets worse after fishing it, I'll try the gear swap to bevels facing each other.

Thanks for the response guys.

Side note: The stock drag washer looked like a flat Hostess Ding Dong. Oil soaked and disintegrated upon removal. 

alantani

yeah, the drag washers were like that.  smoothdrag.com has a replacement drag washer for your reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

D.DAY

Quick update to this reel. I had it with me when I stopped by my tackle shop (Rusty Hook, San Pedro CA) and had Alex spin it. He was saying the right side pinion bearing was shot. Shows you what I know about checking bearings. Any who I ordered one from Shimano (no stock at Rusty's) and will be swapping it soon.

*Side note: Shimano's new site does not have schematics included just yet. I was told they will be up back soon.