Makaira 50w TDC vs malaria 50w

Started by Noahg727, December 18, 2017, 08:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

Just got 2 if these. Ones the TDC and the other is the older model. I did a little research and it says the TDC just makes it a more gradual drag progression. Does this have something to do with the belliville washer configuration? if so, how do I make the non TDC into a TDC configuration.

Thanks,
Noah

MarkT

It's probably the drag cam.  The TDC ramps up slower.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

rather have Makeira than malaria any day.

boon

The "C" in TDC stands for "Cam" - Tournament Drag Cam.
It's just a cam that ramps up more slowly. Changing them over is about a 1-minute, tool-less job...

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Tiddlerbasher

Noahg727

SoCalAngler

TDC=Tournament Drag Cam, which in turn means a more gradual ramp up over the standard cam and lower drag numbers going from strike to full than the standard cam. This cam configuration is in part used for people looking to catch world record fish using IGFA rules and others fishing line class tournament events, which usually means lighter lines as backing,

I don't get the IGFA rules which are made public and almost always ignored when world records are broken. When was the last time that a person catching a WR fish grabbed the rod that was hooked up to the fish, held it in their hand while they sat in the fighting chair, added the straps to the reel to fight the monster without any help? OK rant over, the IGFA has it's place if you fish their events or have connections.

MarkT

IGFA? Excuse me, do you have any grey poupon? Yeah, totally out of touch with real world, west coast long range, fishing since the days of Zane Grey. No fighting chairs, no following the fish or backing down but we're disqualified if we lay the rod on the rail? Give me an F'ing break princess!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

handi2

I have fished them and sometimes still do. 30lb line on 30W reels and 50lb on 50W reels. Big fish on light line is not hard at all when the boat does the work.

All stand up fishing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

boon

Quote from: MarkT on December 22, 2017, 07:03:47 AM
IGFA? Excuse me, do you have any grey poupon? Yeah, totally out of touch with real world, west coast long range, fishing since the days of Zane Grey. No fighting chairs, no following the fish or backing down but we're disqualified if we lay the rod on the rail? Give me an F'ing break princess!

As soon as you fish the rail you're using your weight pushing down on the rod to generate lifting force, rather than lifting directly. Hence strength means nothing when fishing the rail, only weight. Backing down or following the fish, you're still holding the fish up (and Standup it is still incredibly hard work). Fighting chair.... never used one so can't really comment, but you still have to hang onto/pull the rod.

I still don't get why the rail is such an important part of the west-coast fishery, but it seems to be the go-to method for a lot of fishermen these days.