Need help please 113hn baja special

Started by Iyad, December 23, 2017, 03:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iyad

I got 113hn baja special reel new without box from a guy who bought it from a garage sale with other stuff and since he dont have any idea about reels and doesnt like fishing he told me he will give it to me for (30$), i was so happy with this purchase even though when i first hold the reel i noticed it was not working properly, but i thought there is nothing cant be repaired and that was the issue.
I found out that the spool is rubbing the frame i took it apart checked every thing and i didnt notice anything wrong, checked again while reading Mr. Alan post here in the forum and still no noticeable problem appeared, i dont know if the problem is with the spool or the frame is twisted because the bearings are fine.
I dont know anyone who have the same reel here to identify the fault by putting another spool and try if its the spool.
I have been wanting this reel for quite a while and i really want to use it, any help or advice is much appreciated.

PacRat

Is the spool rub constant or intermittent? I would suggest first attempting to center or adjust the spool right and left. I haven't been inside my own Baja Special in a while but there may be some shims under the bearings in the bearing caps.
Keep us posted.
Mike

Swami805

Maybe it's the angle of the picture but that spool doesn't look right. Looks much closer at the cross bar than it does at the top. Also looks like there's a line were the finish has rubbed off on the spool, could be a reflection though. Could just be the picture
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

it might be that the bearings are damaged and the spool shaft is not maintaining proper alignment.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

I'm with Sheridan - that spool looks crazy out of alignment (unless there is something funny about the photo). First thoughts torqued frame - second thoughts bent spool shaft. If it's bearings surely you could feel that :-\

foakes

Quote from: alantani on December 23, 2017, 04:59:08 PM
it might be that the bearings are damaged and the spool shaft is not maintaining proper alignment.   :-\

Yes, Alan is right --

Bearings first --

Then you can look at the spool or the frame -- but these are less likely culprits.

Just a suggestion --

If it were mine, I would get it working properly with help from on this site -- then drop in one of Tom's bridge assemblies for $65.

It is a solid, very well made reel worth $200 stock.  So for just a set of bearings, and a bridge assembly -- it will last a lifetime.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Now that's odd.  I doubt that the frame got tweaked.  It's a mighty strong frame.  If it was tweaked, you would also see an issue with the reel seat. And the spool shafts are so short, that it would also be difficult to tweak the spool shaft...but not saying that it couldn't happen, but also unlikely.  The only other thing I can think of would be the bearings.  Possibly wrong size bearings in the reel.

Have you read http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14.0?  Maybe this will help give you a clue what could be wrong.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tile

From the looks of it I think that the frame is way out of alignment. Looks like the frame took am extreme force to it.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tile on December 23, 2017, 11:49:52 PM
From the looks of it I think that the frame is way out of alignment. Looks like the frame took am extreme force to it.
Same here! I didn't think it could happen, but as I see it, anything is possible.
your gears are probably shot as well.
In this case, looks like you got what you paid for.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

As Fred recommended, bearing and the Cortez bridge.  When I rebuilt mine from a coffee can of parts i had the rubbing also, but careful adjustment of the bearings cured that for me.  I did replace a couple bearing too.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

PacRat

I agree that the frame appears twisted in the photos but a camera lens can do really strange things to perspective...but the spool definitely appears to be skewed in relation to the frame. There are a lot of very wise reel-smiths here who will give you really good advice. You could make a diagnosis more accurate by posting some less distorted photos. Try to keep the focal plane and camera as parallel as possible and make certain the reel frame and spool are centered in the photo frame. Any little bit of tilt will distort the image. Also, photos of the innards would be a big help.
-Mike

Gfish

If you suspect that the spool's tweaked, try a flange to flange caliper measurement all the way around the circumference. A Compression force that damaged the spool would probably have deformed the frame too.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Iyad

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 23, 2017, 05:09:57 PM
I'm with Sheridan - that spool looks crazy out of alignment (unless there is something funny about the photo). First thoughts torqued frame - second thoughts bent spool shaft. If it's bearings surely you could feel that :-\

Yes its out of alignment threre is no line in the gap and the friction is continous checked the bearings they are ok

Iyad

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 23, 2017, 05:22:59 PM
Now that's odd.  I doubt that the frame got tweaked.  It's a mighty strong frame.  If it was tweaked, you would also see an issue with the reel seat. And the spool shafts are so short, that it would also be difficult to tweak the spool shaft...but not saying that it couldn't happen, but also unlikely.  The only other thing I can think of would be the bearings.  Possibly wrong size bearings in the reel.

Have you read http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14.0?  Maybe this will help give you a clue what could be wrong.
Yes i mentioned that it was the first thing i did, the frame post on the secound picture look twisted the the other post is straight and nothing wrong with the reel seat it looks ok and i removed it and but it back with no issue the place where it sets is flat and clean also checked the frame several times the is no dent or even a scratch only one of the frame bars not straight, can this be fixed

Iyad

Quote from: PacRat on December 24, 2017, 02:21:30 AM
I agree that the frame appears twisted in the photos but a camera lens can do really strange things to perspective...but the spool definitely appears to be skewed in relation to the frame. There are a lot of very wise reel-smiths here who will give you really good advice. You could make a diagnosis more accurate by posting some less distorted photos. Try to keep the focal plane and camera as parallel as possible and make certain the reel frame and spool are centered in the photo frame. Any little bit of tilt will distort the image. Also, photos of the innards would be a big help.
-Mike
Its not the camera lense one of the frame bars is straight the other is not ill tacke couple pictures when i get back home im left to my parents house to spend Christmas evening with them, merry Christmas to everyone