Anchorage Alaska

Started by Mjg378, December 25, 2017, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mjg378

So my son and I have been talking about a Quick trip fishing Alaska, I'm just glad he still likes to go fishing with his dad.  The idea would be to fly into Anchorage and drive to  Seward or  Kenai this summer between May and August when he's home from school.  Trying to stay within a reasonable budget 🙄   Would probably fish 2- 3 days at most, Halibut/salmon, Rockfish/cod possibly.  I Just wanted to get some opinions of where to go/stay.  Places you'd recommend that could do it all.  He likes fishing from a boat.  (Younger son likes fly fishing but that's a question for next time!).  Yep I know this is a reel site! but I trust this groups opinions
  Ok.  Recommendations?
Thanks,
Mike G

Swami805

I have no idea about Alaska but Gary (gstours?) on here seems to account for about half the fish harvest in Alaska. I imagine a few days fishing with him would about cover it but I don't know if he does that sort of thing. Just a thought.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

I would recomend SE Alaska, better fishing. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

I'ma anoint sure I'd recommend the Anchorage area either. The Kenai has the largest king salmon in the world but is often closed and fished very hard when it's open. If you were to drive to Homer you'd have a shot at large halibut as well as ling cod, rockfish and salmon. I live in Juneau and one it here, but the king salmon season looks to be closed in much of SE Alaska. A flight to Juneau then a shorT boat to plane to Gustavus would put you on halibut, and if you are here in July or August, there should be lots of coho salmon as well. If money were no object, I'D go to Elfin Cove and fish out of a lodge.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Mjg378

Thanks for the info. Might have to rethink this but Homer is an option, I'll start looking there.   Have a couple of passes to use up on the airline and it would have to be anchorage.  Might stay away from a Lodge, they do look pricey.  It's just my son and I, if my wife were going that would be another story...
MikeG

Bryan Young

Mike,

If you get onto some black cod (butterfish), I'd be your best friend if I could get some. ;)

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Hardy Boy

British Columbia is also an option, easy to get to, lots of decent fishing plus your US money will get you around a 20 % discount. Just a thought. PM me if you want any ideas or thoughts.
Todd

akfish

Homer has lots of boats that are not associated with a lodge as well as some cheap (by Alaska standards) hotels. In my opinion, that's your best bet if you have to start in Anchorage. BTW: Having spent far too much time in Anchorage, I agree with the saying: It has all of the bad things and none of the good things of a large city. Get out if you want to see Alaska.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

gstours

If your destination must be Anchorage,  Then I would agree that book something out of Seward, or Homer.  Its fairly close if you drive, and the charter boat fishing is average.  Butt thats good!  Start looking into that for a few days at a lodge and lodges usually can help you narrow down your options and maybe offer a package deal.    Start now.   and good luck. :)

Keta

I am not fond of the town full of whittiots but since they opened the tunnel to auto trafic Whitier might be another good port.  I am sure things have changed in the roach capitol of Alaska since '99 though.

If it was me and I wasn't visiting friends in Ketchikan I would head to Crag/Klawalk on POW Island.

Vancouver Island BC, Canada is also a good choice.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mjg378

Thank you guys.  This will help.

Hardy Boy

Mjg378: sent you a PM re fishing on van Island. Have a great trip where ever you end up going !

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

alantani

Quote from: Hardy Boy on December 27, 2017, 04:36:00 PM
British Columbia is also an option, easy to get to, lots of decent fishing plus your US money will get you around a 20 % discount. Just a thought. PM me if you want any ideas or thoughts.

i'll likely be headed up to port hardy this summer.  my old co-worker, ben, went there last year with two whole families.  he booked a trip this year for himself and one other.  looks like his "plus one" will be me.  i think we're looking at about $4k usd for the entire package.  the price is a little steep, but that's ok.  i'll be leaving for puerto vallarta in a few days with ben and we'll be talking about port hardy at that time.  

as for anchorage, i fished out of seward years ago with andy mezirow and http://www.crackerjackcharters.com/ and had a great time.  that's the only place that i know.  if you go, post lots of photos!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hardy Boy

Alan: Nice to hear you might be paying us a visit. You will have to come over for a scotch at my house while you are here. You will be minutes away...................... everything here is minutes away. :D. You will get to fish for salmon with single actions and whips (as Ted calls them) and that may ruin you for conventional gear ! ;D please touch base when you have some dates etc.

That price would be for an all inclusive charter: accommodations, meals and professional fish processing at one of the top outfits (largest boats with 10 hours plus fishing a day) here and that price reflects that. You can get some decent fishing charters for less with good accommodations especially at certain times of the year.

cheers:

Todd
Todd

Islandgypsy

I'll be fishing out of Winter Harbour , NW Vancouver Is. again this end of June and can vouch for Hardy Boys spot on reccomendation. Two of Randy's new narrow 4/0's will be baptized there.
  Greg