QUICK SUPER 270

Started by Alto Mare, December 28, 2017, 03:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Oh, very cool Steve, thanks for getting on those. I can't wait to get some...good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

El Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 28, 2017, 08:10:07 PM
:D :D...good one Wayne.
Have fun down there.

Sal

Sal-BO!!!!!

For me, on this trip, "Nada Pescado!"  Timing does not work out for a day of fishing on this entire trip.

So, I was looking around for some ice on this 1,200' long ship, and no luck, and I ended up at this Frozen martini Bar. 

I know I'm taking up space on your post, and if anyone has an issue wit it, please contact Dominick, I'm on Vacation.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Shark Hunter

What kind of sissy drink is that Wayne. :D
There isn't a Bridal shower going on, is there? ;)
Dominick, I think you need to cut your boy off. :P
Have fun in Paradise.
I am Jealous.
Sal, those drag kits from Adam should be hitting the market soon. I have my order in. 8)
Life is Good!

mo65

Great tutorial Sal. I think the 270 will be a force to reckon with when these new drag kits come in. There are guys customizing these for the surf and they really look cool.
It's a big ol' girl...built to hoss a lunker! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Quote from: El Pescador on December 29, 2017, 01:08:24 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on December 28, 2017, 08:10:07 PM
:D :D...good one Wayne.
Have fun down there.

Sal

Sal-BO!!!!!

For me, on this trip, "Nada Pescado!"  Timing does not work out for a day of fishing on this entire trip.

So, I was looking around for some ice on this 1,200' long ship, and no luck, and I ended up at this Frozen martini Bar. 

I know I'm taking up space on your post, and if anyone has an issue wit it, please contact Dominick, I'm on Vacation.

Wayne
Wayne, take any space you need on any of my posts, its never a problem ;)
Who's getting married?
I have to agree with Daron, what's with the sissy drink? you would never catch me holding something as such ;D...Have a good time bud :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

When I first started messing around with one smooth drag had a carbontex washer for a small shimano spinner that was a pretty close fit if the wait is killing you. A bit smother than stock but not a huge upgrade in pounds of drag. Can't find where i wrote it down but it will work in a pinch.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Quote from: Swami805 on December 29, 2017, 04:30:51 AM
When I first started messing around with one smooth drag had a carbontex washer for a small shimano spinner that was a pretty close fit if the wait is killing you. A bit smother than stock but not a huge upgrade in pounds of drag. Can't find where i wrote it down but it will work in a pinch.
I appreciate your input Sheridan, but CF washers would never be a problem for me personally.
I was lucky to find these used cutters on line a few years ago, I got those at a ridiculous price.
The boxes were beat up, but the cutters are in great shape. With these you'll get the ID and OD with one punch, along with my 1 ton press, they do a pretty good job on any washer I need.

Metal washers is another story, I did a couple in the past, but wouldn't waste my time on those ever again, unless I needed just one unusual washer.

Best,

Sal

festus

The Super 270 is very similar to my Finessa and D.A.M. Quick 220.  Then the N series came along and the company did away with the cutouts for the anti-reverse pin and spring.  Too bad they got away from that design.

I'd really like to have one of those arbor presses because the one thing I've been reluctant to attempt is use a punch to remove the pins.  The crank handle on my D.A.M. Quicks also use pins.  Too bad those arbor presses aren't quite tall enough to build an attachment to double as a wine press.  For many years I made wine but didn't see it necessary to spend two or three hundred bucks on a wine press.

Great tutorial, Sal, hope to find a Super 270 for my collection eventually.

Alto Mare

:D..Chester, you could use it to cork the bottle if you get creative. As for wine press, get yourself a half barrel, clean your feet really good and put some music on. Get in there and dance on some grape ;D

festus

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 29, 2017, 02:31:53 PM
:D..Chester, you could use it to cork the bottle if you get creative. As for wine press, get yourself a half barrel, clean your feet really good and put some music on. Get in there and dance on some grape ;D
;D Been there, done that.  But the grapes l grow are muscadines and have such a hard hull even me at 225 lbs can't get them completely crushed by stomping.  Especially making white wine where there is no skin contact during fermentation.  Can't grow good wine grapes in Tennessee, climate and humidity is all wrong.  Too many folks with degrees in viticulture have tried and failed.  So nowadays l just settle for the watered down imported stuff from the Rhine or Moselle River.  ;)

Don't want to hijack the thread, but are there any other winemakers out there? :)

Chuck750ss

Thanks for the schooling. Do want to add a 270 to my "gathering" of reels. Think it will be a good reel for my wife to use catfishing.
Am totally impressed so far with the DAM reels. Quality is just outstanding. Wish I knew these reels existed years ago.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Chuck750ss on December 30, 2017, 03:20:06 AM
Wish I knew these reels existed years ago.

Same here Chuck...nice reels! From what I've seen, I bet they won't miss a beat if they accidentally get dunked . Of course you will need to break it down when you get home, but I could pretty much bet if these get dunked in the first part of your fishing, you should still be able to fish all day.

Sal

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 30, 2017, 04:03:04 AM
Quote from: Chuck750ss on December 30, 2017, 03:20:06 AM
Wish I knew these reels existed years ago.

Same here Chuck...nice reels! From what I've seen, I bet they won't miss a beat if they accidentally get dunked . Of course you will need to break it down when you get home, but I could pretty much bet if these get dunked in the first part of your fishing, you should still be able to fish all day.

Sal
Agree. In my younger days I abused a Mitchell 300 every possible way you could. And it never let me down. I would rate the DAM 330 I purchased as much better built than the Mitchell. Durn shame they followed the path of others. Maybe I am just too old fashioned, but I believe they if they still produced quality reels, they would sell. On quality alone.

Swami805

After all the talk on these reels I can see the $ going up. Good time to look if you're thinking about it. I got a nice super (not the 2speed) for about $25 to my door, good condition too. That was awhile ago about the same time I got the 2speed. Heck of a reel,need to get it cleaned up. I'll look for the package the washers came in and see if I can find the# for those who don't have a press and need better washers. 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

They are reall great reels. Cant believe I have more of them than Sal. Probably the only model I have more of....Jeff