Dock fishing

Started by biggiesmalls, December 30, 2017, 08:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Any recommendations for setting up a basic tackle box for dock fishing? I'm not talking about targeting anything in particular, just trying to catch something simple.

This'll be a gift, going with a cheaper rod and reel that'll get the job done and last a while. Probably a 6' light or ultralight fiberglass rod, 1500-2500 reel, and some 8 lb mono.

What would you keep in the box?

Thanks,
Drew

festus

I'm not sure if you're talking about freshwater or saltwater docks.  A few spoons, jigs, whether it be marabou, bucktail, Sassy Shad type or twister tail, Rat-L-Trap lures or their saltwater equivalent, a topwater jerkbait like a Rapala or their saltwater equivalent the Redfin, and a popper or chugger topwater, and you should be set.

biggiesmalls

Talking about saltwater docks. I was thinking something even simpler - just the essentials, and probably focusing on bait too. Any artificials would need to be able to be used very easily, as in used by beginners with next to no experience fishing.

I'm trying to put together a kit that will be as close to guaranteed action off a dock as possible. Doesn't matter what fish - just something that will pull. That's the main reason for the ultralight rod, so that worse comes the worst and the reds or trout aren't biting, she can just drop a double drop rig or something next to the pilings and still catch something and have fun.

philaroman

a leader wallet w/ wide range of pre-tied Circle & J hooks
something LONG for hook removal (in case she encounters TEETH)
a little bright-red First Aid kit (even if it's never needed -- good constant warning)
compact fish ID chart/booklet (or phone App, these days)

swill88

Sabiki rigs. Catching bait is a blast.

Shark Hunter

Drew,
Come on! Are you going to follow this one through?
All you need to fish off a dock or pier in the salt is fresh bait and a serviced reel.
You told me you were sending me a 9/0 plate months ago.
Make a plan, stick to it.
You know enough to get it done.
Life is Good!

Swami805

That berkley gulp saltwater stuff works on just about everything. the sand worm ones and the little grubs. A variety of hooks and small sinkers, a few small lead heads for the grubs. Fish eat that gulp stuff just like bait, no need for any special presentaion. Sakiki's are great too. Get small ones they have them a kmart here and dont cost much.
Local intel from a resident pier rat is very helpful too. I stop for some junk food on the way, especially the kind their mom won't let them buy.
It's all about making it fun fish or no fish
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ron Jones

I'll second the prettied leaders. Attaching terminal tackle is always the hardest.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

Every situation is different.  Fishing from a dock is not like going on safari.  Just do it.  If you didn't think to take it along the first time you will put it in the box and it will be there next time.
-steve

Bill B

My 2 cents, as I spent 3 yrs fishing from a fresh water dock nearly 5 days a week on the Sacramento River.....my target fish were anything biting  ;).  But I had a kit I used that had 2"-3" crank baits, 3" lead head grubs (smoked salt and pepper were deadly) a selection of small j and circle hooks and sinkers for bait.  I used a pair of cutting forecepts for hook removal and a stringer or bag to bring home fish.   I used a fanny pack to carry the kit and clipped the forecepts to my shirt.  Try to find a small Plano box that will fit the fanny pack.  8 lb test won't let you throw anything big so keep everything light. Maybe consider 15 lb so when the fish runs under the dock you have a chance of pulling it out. The fish I was catching ranged from small and large mouth bass, striped and spotted bass, bullhead catfish, even had a sturgeon nearly spool me before breaking off, blue gill, crappie.....ohhh and the shad runs were a blast.  Keep it simple and use your imagination brother.....you have been doing this long enough.  ;).  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

biggiesmalls

Thanks for the replies. Going to just keep it simple, some small crappie jigs tipped with bait/curly tail grubs, small kastmasters, and some small #2 or #1 circle hooks for free-lining live shrimp.

Drew