Need buffer recommendations

Started by 1badf350, January 05, 2018, 01:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I have just used an old shoe polisher that was bought at a thrift store for about $10 -- 20 years ago.  

Can't wear the motors on these out, and they are fairly low RPMs.

I use lambswool professional shoe-shining heads.  

Have 3 -- one for quick rough cleaning with Nevr-Dull or Black Magic, one for polishing with Gel-Gloss, one for waxing with Paste Wax.  Gentle enough for sideplates, chrome, anodized, etc..

Been waiting for this one to kick the bucket for 20 years, since it was used when I acquired it.  But these are nearly bulletproof.

They can still be picked up for $15 or $20 max -- since these would be used by gentlemen who wore nice shoes -- and a sharp shine was a sign of pride and impressive.  But that is old school nowadays...

Now, the youngsters wear any type of shoes they can get away with -- and polishing ones shoes doesn't mean what it used to mean -- when I was growing up and in business.

These used to be at the front of fine shoe stores, or beside your closet door, or in your office -- that is why they were built to last.

A new one is around $200 -- $275, a used one is around 10% of that number.  The new lambswool heads are about $25 each -- but last me around 4 years each.

Works well for me.

Just cleaned the lower half of an old Squidder tail-plate -- just a minute or so, with Never-Dull and the lambswool.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Fred that polisher looks like a vintage Dremel machine :-\

foakes

In the old days, the two main brands were Beck and Dremel.

They were built with quality and durability as one of their main features -- that is why they hold up for decades.

I have a Beck that I use for dress shoes, and this old Dremel for reel work.

You have a sharp eye, Chris.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lunker Larry

I use an old one my dad made from what I believe is an old washing machine motor. It's been around my whole life and I'm 65. The rpm is not crazy and it doesn't have any torque. I'd post a pic but the safety police would probably be all over me.  :D ;D
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Tiddlerbasher

At least something is still working Fred ;D ;D

1badf350

HA! Thanks Fred! I just got a vintage Dremel buffer off ebay for cheap!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

What is the difference between red and black pads? Can i put polishing compounds, like Flitz, wax, etc directly on the pads?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

foakes

The colored pads are strictly for ID -- no difference in function or the type of lambswool.

Generally, if one is used for black polished shoes -- the other is for brown.

These are just buffers -- not appropriate for rubbing compound cutting or power waxing.

For me, these are a final quick touch up -- and the shape allows access into smaller areas of a reel.

For waxing, I do this by hand after removing oxidation and cutting with a rubbing compound, recleaning, applying wax by hand -- then the buffer is just for a final sheen.

I like to use common gel-gloss paste for a final sheen.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

1badf350

-Chris

Gobi King

I love it Fred,

I used to make a few bucks polishing my dad's dress shoes. Man, that polisher would have some handy back then.

I can polish my reels and my shoes too, time to look at ebay for one of these  ;D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gobi King

I picked up a dremel polisher off ebay, $45 shipped, some pitting but seller says it runs.
Fichigan

Gobi King

Hey Fred, Check out what Usps dropped this off this morning,

it runs and it is pretty quiet.

I need to start wearing more black dress shoes so I can use the black head to polish my shoes  ;D

How should I go about washing the wool polish things?
Fichigan

foakes

Just toss them in the washer with a little soap and Woolite -- then run them through the dryer.

When it is time to replace them -- Amazon or Google will ship to your door for around $25 for a couple.

Good find!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

steelhead_killer

Found this via craigslist. Seems to be the right speed. Came out of a place that made dentures. Can't wait to try her out.
><)))">

54bullseye

Quote from: Gobi King on January 11, 2018, 07:42:13 PM
Hey Fred, Check out what Usps dropped this off this morning,

it runs and it is pretty quiet.

I need to start wearing more black dress shoes so I can use the black head to polish my shoes  ;D

How should I go about washing the wool polish things?

Gobi King did you buy that off eBay from me ????   John Taylor