Reel Restoration Tips

Started by mo65, January 07, 2018, 07:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I'm one of those guys who falls into the "hobbyist" category...I don't have any ultrasonic cleaners or professional tools. I'm sure there are many others in the same shoes who want to restore their vintage reels. I see a lot of folks asking "how do I remove corrosion?" and "what do I polish with?"...maybe I can offer some help here.
  First off, it's not rocket science. Normal household items can get the job done very well. Green corrosion will simply melt away with normal white vinegar. A short soak is all it takes, and rinsing with clean water will stop the chemical action. Now your parts are neutralized, you won't find green crap growing again in 3 months.
  This Monofil 26 I'm demonstrating with was a rare treat, as it had no corrosion, it must have been fished in freshwater. Therefore, we can skip straight to grime removal. It has the normal dried up grease and oil, varnished and stuck on pretty well. These first photos show the reel as I received it.

Here's a look at the general condition of some of the parts. Note the grime on the handle, that is where we'll start.

I'm going to use a product that has been beat up pretty good on the forums...WD-40. True, WD-40 is not a good reel lubricant. But, it is an excellent reel cleaner! Nothing removes dried on grease, oil, or varnished WD-40 itself better than a fresh squirt of WD-40! In the pic below you'll see WD-40 running down the handle, the grime already loosening.

Wow, a quick wipe with a paper towel and the grime is gone. No scrubbing...no scratching...no problem.

Same story with these drive parts. They are sticky to the touch, no wonder the anti-reverse barely works. I thought the main gear was bronze until I removed the under gear washer, revealing the true color. A quick "squirt and wipe" will clean these parts too.

Boy howdy, looks like they're ready to be washed.

Final washing is where the parts get their shine. I use simple kitchen products for this also. Dish detergent and baking soda work great. Old toothbrushes reach into nooks and crannies, excellent for scrubbing side plates. The photo below shows a technique I use for posts, stands, and rings. With the parts in the palm of your hand, add a shot of dish soap and a shake of baking soda.

Now add a little warm water and rub your hands together, like you're trying to warm them over a fire.

Look at those posts...they look like the day they were made over 70 years ago! Let's slap 'er back together.

She looks like new money...even smells good. All functions are crisp and tight. I've been waiting patiently for one of these...now all I need is the grey Monofil 25 and I'll have all three Coloromic Monofils. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

Mo that reel looks super clean with crisp lines and writing. Great job.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

David Hall

Excellent tutorial and wow does that reel pop !  Looks fresh out of the box.

festus

Thanks for posting this, great advice, it looks new.  Never tried the baking soda and detergent, but l will next time.

thorhammer

Mo, some great servicing advice right there but that reel sucks and is not worthy of your collection. You can store it in mine for safekeeping :)

Reel 224

Mo; Looks like you've got the right idea for a simple cleaning product for a dirty job, my hat is off to you.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

AC49

Good job Mo !! Thanks for all the tips. This will help me with mine in the future.
Nice clean look.

PacRat

x2 on the WD-40. I think it gets a bad reputation from people who don't understand its intended use. It's an excellent solvent. In fact I have an owner's manual from Shimano which recommends it for wiping down your reels after each fresh water rinse. I like the WD-40 because it's gentle and really gets the job done. It's also much less flammable than many other solvents and it won't harm finishes like the purple detergents will.
Mike

Gfish

Cool! Simple, inexpensive, and to the point without to much varibility in materials, which can bring in confusion.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tightlines667

I like it.  A simple, no nonsense approach to restoration. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mo65

Quote from: PacRat on January 07, 2018, 09:17:06 PM
x2 on the WD-40. I think it gets a bad reputation from people who don't understand its intended use. It's an excellent solvent. In fact I have an owner's manual from Shimano which recommends it for wiping down your reels after each fresh water rinse.

I'll agree with what Shimano says...because reels that get regularly fished are handled a lot...and the WD-40 doesn't "sit" long enough to varnish. It gets rinsed off...and reapplied. Sprayed down and put away for keeps is a different story. It behaves like one of those coatings they put on parts...a tacky preservative. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Thanks Mo, very good post, great value, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Newell Nut

Great post. Does not take a lot of money to clean stuff up and make it run like new and look almost new.
Dwight

wfjord

That's a nice, informative post, Mo. I'm going to revisit my can of WD40... and the baking soda.  That little green monofil must be one of the prettiest reels ever made.

Rickski

Thanks for the tips.  Great info. :)
Rick