Abu Ambassadeur Power Handle and misc questions

Started by Gobi King, January 08, 2018, 04:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I picked up an assortment of Abu Ambassadeur reels. I am going to rig these up for Grandma for jigging and trolling. I picked these as they are light and it will be easy for Grandma to handle.

1. I want to put on a power handle on these, which handles fit these? I remember seeing a daiwa being a fit but I can't seem to find the thread.
2. Drag - what do I need to order drag kits from smooth? serial #?
3. Lower ratio gears - where can I find lower ratio gears for them?

I plan to load them up with 30 lb sufix braid
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

PacRat

You can find them at the big auction site. I would recommend using one built for an Ambassadeur and nothing more because the gears and gear sleeves are somewhat delicate. I've landed some big fish but have always sweated gear damage.
Mike

PacRat

Here's a place to start studying: http://www.amb01.com/01custom.html
I think there a very many different variations of the drag system and some are interchangeable. I think most people who hot-rod Ambassadeurs do so to increase casting distance.
Mike

festus

Quote from: PacRat on January 08, 2018, 05:48:22 PM
Here's a place to start studying: http://www.amb01.com/01custom.html
I think there a very many different variations of the drag system and some are interchangeable. I think most people who hot-rod Ambassadeurs do so to increase casting distance.
Mike
Thanks for the link, Mike, it's a very helpful page.

Gobi King

Quote from: PacRat on January 08, 2018, 05:06:05 PM
You can find them at the big auction site. I would recommend using one built for an Ambassadeur and nothing more because the gears and gear sleeves are somewhat delicate. I've landed some big fish but have always sweated gear damage.
Mike

Thanks for the link, good info, I am going through it right now.

Nothing really big , she is not able to handle anything more than few lbs of drag by herself, gearing down will make is it a light cranking machine for her and give her the confidence to reel em in.

Fichigan

foakes

Got a few handles and ABU parts here and there, GK.

Here are a few loose handles -- some are longer, about half are NOS.

The one in the front is a little larger, lightweight, and also new.

If any of these could be of help to your Mom, I'll send it out at N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gobi King

Quote from: foakes on January 08, 2018, 09:31:52 PM
Got a few handles and ABU parts here and there, GK.

Here are a few loose handles -- some are longer, about half are NOS.

The one in the front is a little larger, lightweight, and also new.

If any of these could be of help to your Mom, I'll send it out at N/C.

Best,

Fred

Fred,
Sure,
That is most generous of you.

Yes the one in front will be perfect, could you throw in a couple of the bigger ones behind it also please.

I will pm you contact info,

Thanks!

Fichigan

Gobi King

Did a quick inventory today. I went ahead and ordered cf drag off ebay and found out today that those drags only fit the round C, C3 and so on and NOT the S, SX, STX models.

#   Model   Drag   Line Cap   CF Drag      Weight   RB   Switch Handle   Line
1   5000   ?      205/12      skip      10      ?   skip         skip
2   6000   ?      14/245      ordered      10   ?   skip         tdb
3   4600-C3   15   170/10      Ordered      9   ?   Yes         30 Braid
4   5501-S   11   230/14      need order   10   ?   skip         30 Braid
5   6501-C3   15   320/12      ordered      10   ?   skip         30 Braid
6   6601-SX   12.5   17/255      need order   11   Y   Yes         30 Braid
7   6601-SX   12.5   17/255      need order   11   Y   Yes         30 Braid

I did not know the SXs takes a different CF drag than the Cs.

1. Lower ratio gears, is this still doable? I could not find any online source for the gears.
2. How do I find out if any of the above have roller bearings?
3. I plan to oil the bearings (tsi 321), switch out the drag, anything else I should address while I have them open?

Fichigan

handi2

I have customized many of those reels.

Dawn at Smooth Drag has drag upgrades for many of them. It will include new metal washers and Carbontex washers.

The metal washers are ground flat and the top washer is full size of the drag washer. It replaces the top metal washer the has the hump in the center that only contacts half of the top drag washer. That's a lot of "washer".

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gobi King

Quote from: handi2 on January 24, 2018, 11:25:22 PM
I have customized many of those reels.

Dawn at Smooth Drag has drag upgrades for many of them. It will include new metal washers and Carbontex washers.

The metal washers are ground flat and the top washer is full size of the drag washer. It replaces the top metal washer the has the hump in the center that only contacts half of the top drag washer. That's a lot of "washer".

Keith

Keith,
Howdy,
Gotcha, I will get the full set from Dawn with the washers.

How about the low ratio gears, do they still make em?

On a side note:
We came down to check out the hotel for spring break trip in Navarre  ;D.
I spent some time at half hitch and ate at shrimp basket.
Fichigan

Gobi King

Fichigan

handi2

I didn't know you were here. You should  have stopped by.

Check out Jerry Foran online. He has anything needed to do whatever you want to those reels. I have a few myself, probably a couple of dozen, that im collecting. I have a bunch of 5000 sized reels.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gobi King

Quote from: handi2 on January 25, 2018, 12:43:43 AM
I didn't know you were here. You should  have stopped by.

Check out Jerry Foran online. He has anything needed to do whatever you want to those reels. I have a few myself, probably a couple of dozen, that im collecting. I have a bunch of 5000 sized reels.

Keith

Yes Sir will do, this trip was a wash as Grandma was not feeling well. Definitely this spring, we will be down 4/4 to 4/6.

I checked out Jerry Foran's website, that is a lot of abu stuff, but he did not have any lower ratio gears (pinion and main gear).

What kinda drag should I expect out of these with the cf drag and washer change?

Fichigan

steelfish

awesome reels I love my round abu garcia reels, I alway change the paddle handle to a power handle and install carbontex drag washers.
on my 6500c3 I switched the stock handle for a power handle for calcutta/corvalus reels "BNT3444 Handle Assembly", its not a direct fit, you have to file some mm each side to fit on the abu shaft.

your mom might like the size 7000 more practical, have good size, its not heavy as it looks, its stronger and already with power handle, I let my wife to use it from the shore everytime, althoug a 5000 and 6500 size can handle anything that you can catch from the shore here

@Fred, that is a beautiful handle you got there amigo, awesome move to send it, not a surprise coming from you.
The Baja Guy

Keta

One of my 5601 C4 reels has a low speed gear set from either a C3 or C4 tank, they are 3. something to 1. All mine have AR dogs and AR bearings.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain