I Can't Find an Excuse to Open It!

Started by mo65, January 10, 2018, 06:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Did ya ever buy an old reel that needed nothing?? This is a first for me...even the NIB pieces I've nabbed needed attention. I guess the previous owner of this reel just serviced it before sending it to me. It feels fluid, nice and smooth, yet solid and tight. He or she obviously knows their reels, and honestly, I haven't even popped the side plate! 8)

P.S.  Why is Shakespeare the only brand without a sub-forum? Looks like there are quite a few Shakespeare threads.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

wfjord

I'd say the only thing it needs is to be lined and fished --right away! :)

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Very nice Mike! Love the white spool.

............Lou

steelfish

that little thing is a beauty.

now let me tell you that I never need an excuse to open my personal reels, sometimes I opened them up just because Im boring  ;D ;D
so, go for it and open that thing, take some pictures of your findings, this reel might have sewing machine 3-1 oil instead of proper fishing oil or automovile general grease instead of penn / Yamaha reel, let me know if you need more excuses.

The Baja Guy

mike1010

foakes

Also, Mike --

Hate to break the bad news --

However, only three reasons not to remove the sideplate, IMO --

1) I was the last one in there, and it is good.

2) I have super powers like x-ray vision -- and can see into the casing.

3) I like taking a gamble waiting for something to fail when on the water.

Other than those, 9 times out of 10 -- it could always use less grease, more grease, different type of grease, a cleaner bearing, or something else.

Few reel techs can service a reel as thoroughly and capably as the folks on our site.

Just my opinions.

Actually, since you posted this, you have likely already cracked open the side to verify your observations...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Go ahead Mike, at least take out three screws and peep inside. 

I remember them very well when they were on the shelves.  Those, the Mitchell 308/408, and D.A.M. Quick 110 are my favorite 3 ultralights.

Here's an ad from 1968.  They were $35 at the time. 

mo65

Quote from: steelfish on January 10, 2018, 08:11:31 PM
Open that thing, take some pictures of your findings, this reel might have sewing machine 3-1 oil instead of proper fishing oil.
Quote from: foakes on January 10, 2018, 08:53:45 PM
Actually, since you posted this, you have likely already cracked open the side to verify your observations...
Quote from: festus on January 10, 2018, 08:56:07 PM
Go ahead Mike, at least take out three screws and peep inside. 

Hee hee...ok! I opened her up, and I see why the feel is to my liking. Appears to be Ardent Reel Butter. Obviously it's been serviced, I've opened two other reels from this series and they were packed with dark brown sludge and had lots of rust. Everything is steel inside these reels...so surface rust is common. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Nice reel Mo! I got a bunch of messed up Dam reels with cracked housings, bent spool shaft and so on. I was surprised to see that the gears are still good  so far. Those are similar to the the gears on this Shakespeare...great design.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wfjord

Gfish

Mine was easy, had to open 'er up. No rust, just darn-near impossible to turn with the dried out grease. A Min. Spirits soak got 90% of it.

Very impressed with the construction/materials quality of these Maroon series Shakespeare's.

Also some good prices on "flea"-bay, $15-30.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

Wow what a clean reel.  Great find Mo!

Midway Tommy

Nice find, Mike. I'm with Fred, though. I've got to at least look inside, body, rotor & drag, to make sure nothing bad is going on. Even if they look good I usually tear them down & service them anyway just to make sure everything got done, and correctly, too. I've worked on a lot of gray & maroon Shakes and haven't come across any notable rust, yet. Maybe I have just been lucky. Have about ten medium & large Shakes to do yet, maybe I won't continue to be so lucky.  :-\ 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)