Infinite Anti-reverse and mechanism

Started by Reel Beaker, January 18, 2018, 09:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi guys,

been looking at a fishing mag recently, where i came upon the term infinite anti-reverse in some reel ads. Upon googling this term, and reading about the advantages on the internet(better hook set), i was wondering if this is just some marketing gimmick or if there is really advantages to this feature.

I would also lik to know if all infinite aneti-reverse reels have a roller clutch assembly. I was thinking of stripping down a reel i believe that have this function, however, the reel seem different from the okuma azul and shimano fx 2500Fb that i have stripped. Both these reels do not have infinite anti-reverse.

I would like to know how to service this roller clutch assembly, and things i need to be wary of while removing the roller clutch assembly from the reel. How does this infinite anti-reverse come about? The meshing of the drive and pinion gears or the roller clutch assembly?

Lastly, when you purchase a reel with a roller bearing, how do you know if it is a line roller bearing, or roller clutch bearing? Which is better, a line roller bearing or line roller bushing?

sdlehr

My understanding is that there is only one way to provide infinite anti-reverse - with a roller clutch as you said. The easiest way to understand how they work is to take one apart, they're pretty simple little gadgets. There is free rotation in one direction, but because of the way the rollers ride in the housing rotation in the other direction is stopped. Disadvantage is that you can't grease the shaft that the roller clutch rides on or it'll slip, and sometimes the little plastic tangs in the housing break and the A/R function goes kaput. These A/R bearings aren't as fool-proof as the A/R dogs that preceded them, I don't think you'll find any on big reels.... but that could be wrong. Servicing this roller clutch involves removing it and cleaning it with solvent. If it's intact that's all there is to it. If it's broken that won't help.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Reel Beaker

Quote from: sdlehr on January 18, 2018, 12:19:32 PM
My understanding is that there is only one way to provide infinite anti-reverse - with a roller clutch as you said. The easiest way to understand how they work is to take one apart, they're pretty simple little gadgets. There is free rotation in one direction, but because of the way the rollers ride in the housing rotation in the other direction is stopped. Disadvantage is that you can't grease the shaft that the roller clutch rides on or it'll slip, and sometimes the little plastic tangs in the housing break and the A/R function goes kaput. These A/R bearings aren't as fool-proof as the A/R dogs that preceded them, I don't think you'll find any on big reels.... but that could be wrong. Servicing this roller clutch involves removing it and cleaning it with solvent. If it's intact that's all there is to it. If it's broken that won't help.

So all i need to do is to oil the roller clutch bearings?

Keta

What you are seeing is "marketing" and calling AR bearings by other names.  As for hook set I see no difference.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

In general ar bearings are not as robust as dogs and ratchets. Some reels possess both. With dogs there is a very small amount of back play, its never affected my fishing. Ar bearing should have no back play (until it fails)

akfish

I see lots of failed AR bearings in my shop. Most often these failed bearings have rust and corrosion. (With some reels like Penn Squall and Fathom level winds, replacing the AR bearing means replacing the entire right side plate!) But as stated above, they also slip if too heavily lubricated. Grease is a no-no. I service them by putting Corrosion-X on a q-tip and brushing the AR bearing. Accurate has more faith in AR bearings that I do because their new 8000 and 10000 size Valiant reels have AR bearings only, not back up dogs...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

exp2000

Quote from: akfish on January 18, 2018, 03:26:21 PM
I see lots of failed AR bearings in my shop. Most often these failed bearings have rust and corrosion. (With some reels like Penn Squall and Fathom level winds, replacing the AR bearing means replacing the entire right side plate!) But as stated above, they also slip if too heavily lubricated. Grease is a no-no. I service them by putting Corrosion-X on a q-tip and brushing the AR bearing. Accurate has more faith in AR bearings that I do because their new 8000 and 10000 size Valiant reels have AR bearings only, not back up dogs...

Bearings ain't bearings Sol ;)

Daiwa have solely relied on AR bearings in their high end bait-casters for years.

But they are not the vulnerable Koyo offerings typically seen in Shimano reels.

They are superior quality German bearings with twice the roller count and they seem almost impervious to rust too.

This was one of the improvements that Shimano copied from Daiwa when they upgraded the Curado to the I series.

Provided that the design of the bearing is tailored to the demands of the drag system, it should be fine.

But then .... enter the bean counters!

Do you find that the quantity of CX makes a difference to correct operation.

I have to admit to being guilty of applying a tiny dab of thinned CX grease to keep the bearing noise down.

It is a compromise on my part.
~

Tightlines667

There are definitely different types and levels of quality when it comes to AR bearings, but most function with the sane concept in mind.  Alutecnos reels use a heavy duty AR bearing in many if their heavy duty reels.  The AR clutches on spinning reels are another form of infinate/instant antireverse that vary widely in their design, although the basic elements are similar.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.