Anyone going fishing on opening day?

Started by pjstevko, January 27, 2018, 01:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

either shape is fine.  the fish won't care at all.  heavier is probably better, though.  i'll likely be fishing with 1 pound cannon ball weights on a slider with a single leader and a double hook.  you are limited to two hooks.  treble hooks count as one. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rogan

pjstevko,

I didn't clarify my earlier post very well, I don't own any jig molds in these large sizes.  I am going to buy one to go with the rest of my lead molding gear.  But I'm not sure which one to buy, so I was asking for a little advice on shape and weights. Do you go over 10oz, like a 12 or 16?  I'm liking the look of the shad head and I can get it in a 6, 8, 10 and 12 oz mold, so I can cast all 4 sizes.  Biggest hook size the mold will take is 10/0. What do you think?

pjstevko

I personally like the shad style jig heads.

As far as weight goes I mostly use 6oz and 8oz but as Alan said a lot of people will use up to 16-18oz on their shrimp fly rigs.

alantani

one pound for deep water and/or windy days.  4 ounces for shallow water and flat calm!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Big Tim

Quote from: rogan on February 18, 2018, 07:30:11 PM
I'm in.

Just talked it over with Alan and Randy and I'm gonna make the long drive from Phoenix. I'm new to this whole rock fish/ling thing so for this trip I'll be taking on the role of the new guy with hundreds of questions...

So for my first question, what do you guys like for lead heads?

I ask because I cast my own lead weights and I would like to bring some lead heads to give out to you guys.  I checked some prices and I found 6 to 10 oz jigs going for 10-15 buck each.  That's really expensive to me. I think free is better, so I wanna contribute some to the group.  But since I have no experience with this yet, I'm not sure of the sizes or preferred shape.  So give me some input... these are the two basic shapes I found.  Group majority decides, then we can pick sizes since the molds are multi cavity and we can have a range of sizes.

Bullet head or shad head????

or other choice....

Welcome to the show! Like previous posts 6,8 & 10oz. will work for most of what we are doing. 1lb. for deep watter drop with bait. Alan will tell you WHOLE SQUID...I say HEX BAR & jigs only, but what do I know? I keep winning the Golden Carp Award (except for last year..Steve). As far as being a beginner, don't worry even I figured it out  ;D

#bringanextraliver

Tim

rogan

"#bringanextraliver"

That was super funny!

Alan, Tim and PJ, Thanks for the input. I ordered the shad head jig mold in 6,  8, 10 and 12oz.

I got 50lbs of wheel weights processed into ingots yesterday, just waiting for the mold and some hooks.

David Hall

pjstevko

Quote from: rogan on February 19, 2018, 11:30:22 PM
"#bringanextraliver"

That was super funny!

Alan, Tim and PJ, Thanks for the input. I ordered the shad head jig mold in 6,  8, 10 and 12oz.

I got 50lbs of wheel weights processed into ingots yesterday, just waiting for the mold and some hooks.

Awesome ;D :D ;D :D

Big Tim

"#bringanextraliver"

That was super funny!

Alan, Tim and PJ, Thanks for the input. I ordered the shad head jig mold in 6,  8, 10 and 12oz.

We live in California & can't have that much lead in our possession..I think it is against some law or somthin'..Be carefull bringing that stuff cross state lines.. ;D

BT  ;D

pjstevko

Rogan make sure you make your reservation soon if you haven't done so already as the trip will sell out....

rogan

Pj, thanks for the heads up, im all registered and paid. Looking forward to the trip.

Big Tim, I'm glad I'm from AZ where the lead is plentiful!! All versions of it ;)

Dominick

Quote from: Big Tim on February 20, 2018, 06:24:30 AM
"#bringanextraliver"

That was super funny!

Alan, Tim and PJ, Thanks for the input. I ordered the shad head jig mold in 6,  8, 10 and 12oz.

We live in California & can't have that much lead in our possession..I think it is against some law or somthin'..Be carefull bringing that stuff cross state lines.. ;D

BT  ;D
I don't think there any restrictions yet.  I say "yet" because we should all be aware of this assembly bill added for vote.  I am not posting it for discussion but for your edification.  It was introduced 4 days ago.  Dominick http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB2787
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

pjstevko

Since Rogan is being gracious enough to bring everyone a few heads I figured I buy a few tails to try out.....

Big Tim

Quote from: pjstevko on February 20, 2018, 11:26:16 PM
Since Rogan is being gracious enough to bring everyone a few heads I figured I buy a few tails to try out.....

I'm betting on that purple monster.

BT

pjstevko

Those suckers are 9" long! I might cut off the middle arms to expose the hook better....