Rod clamps

Started by smnaguwa, January 27, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smnaguwa

I was told by a young deckhand that rod clamps aren't necessary if using 50# test or less line. True?

Bill B

i use them on any reel that can take one.  A belt and suspenders approach.  But most definitely use them on a # class reel.  Figure you can set the drags to 15# lbs + of drag.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tiddlerbasher

A clamp will help to take the strain off of the screw winch and hoods of the reel seat. If I'm using a reel supplied with a clamp I will use it.

Bryan Young

For me, anything under 40# is not necessary. If your reel seat cannot hold 15# of drag, I don't want that reel.

I will put them on if the reel seat does not hold the reel snug though. It bother me especially when casting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 27, 2018, 04:32:19 PM
A clamp will help to take the strain off of the screw winch and hoods of the reel seat. If I'm using a reel supplied with a clamp I will use it.

Many reels under 50#,  the reel seat clamp is secured to the reel seat base not the reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 27, 2018, 04:32:19 PM

If I'd said "screw winch and hoods of the reel fitting" instead of seat - maybe that would convey what I ment. This side of the pond the term real seat is usually referring to the mount on the rod and not the stand on the reel. Most stands on most reels can take a lot of drag - I'm not so convinced about graphite fittings i.e. the rod seat.

STRIPER LOU

I almost always use a clamp if its available. Its helps to keep everything tight and in place.

In addition It makes for an easy place to secure a lanyard. When trolling, the lanyard is an absolute must for me. When fishing the Race, the sea conditions can be lees than ideal so all rods in the Rocket launchers and other areas, have reels clamps and are secured safely with a lanyard.

..................Lou

alantani

if you've got 'em, may as well use 'em!  for 50 and under, i usually do not.  but that's more because i'm setting up 25 rods and reels at a time.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!