California Red Crab, Tuna Crab

Started by otghoyt, January 27, 2018, 05:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otghoyt

El Ninio brought us an outstanding fishing bonus these last few years.  It is the California Tuna Crab population explosion.  Bluefin Tuna cannot get enough of them but that does not stop the little boogers from washing up on So Cal Beaches by the millions.  They actually look like a stunted tail, mini-lobster.  Pleuroncodes planipes is a bright red animal, up to 13 centimetres (5.1 in) long. It resembles a true lobster, but has a shorter abdomen.

I have been seeing these little beasties spilling out of Tuna guts on the decks for years  I found these (pic) on e-barf listed as..... 3Pcs Rubber Crayfish/Shrimp/Creature Lures. They are almost an exact reproduction.  I think it is a "match the hatch" winner.

I tried to cut and paste actual pictures of the little beastie but it seems they are all copy written so they will not post.  If you need to know, you must chase this on your own but the raw information is here.

Also, I do not fish plastics so if any of you guys can come up with a plan for hook and weight to get them down to where Tuna expect to see them, please let me know  how you like to rig them and as always, pictures are welcome.

H~

pjstevko

How deep are the tuna? My initial thought is a big jig head......

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

whalebreath

Often found in Prawn traps here in BC

otghoyt

Great pictures of the real deal Red Crabs.  Thanks Keta.

Caught Tuna spew their guts and these guys are all over the decks.  The pictures show the comparison between real and plastic.  Pretty darn close to the real deal.  A little variation in coloring could be more natural but they got glitter!

I bought some "J" hooks and Rubbercore weights. If somebody has a decent way of riggin this little booger I'd appreciate some ideas.

H~

Bill B

I have no experience on this, but might try something like:

Main line with egg or bullet sinker, tied to a swivel, then an 18" leader to the hook.  The swivel will stop the sinker from sliding down to the hook.

I would not tie the sinker below the hook, for fear of getting bit off.....jmho......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sabaman1

How about on the regular rubberband rigged sinker on a circle  hook.
JIM

MarkT

I'd use an egg sinker above a carolina keeper rather than a swivel.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

A leadhead would work so it doesn't spin when it's moving. Could also Texas rig it and peg the sinker if using a slideing sinker. All the fish I've seen feeding on those seem to want something with red and some flake in it. I went last week and all the fish we caught we're on this goofy looking bait
Do what you can with that you have where you are

conchydong

I would take a drill bit and open up the center starting from the head area about 3/4 of the way and exit where the anus would be on a fish. Then I would pull a leader and a normal sized shank hook with a small egg sinker in front of it up inside the body from the "anal" opening to give it a little weight. I would then cast it, let it sink out a bit and twitch it and then hope for the best. One of the best Blackfin Tuna lures in S. FL is a black rubber bass or sand eel worm.

Big Tim

Quote from: Swami805 on June 11, 2018, 07:48:48 PM
A leadhead would work so it doesn't spin when it's moving. Could also Texas rig it and peg the sinker if using a slideing sinker. All the fish I've seen feeding on those seem to want something with red and some flake in it. I went last week and all the fish we caught we're on this goofy looking bait

Hookup Baits...I just ordered some.

Tim

Ron Jones

I grew up fly lining crawdads for large mouth bass and catfish. Hook through the tail don't kill it. Seems like you could dothe same here with a spinner that coud handle a California Bluefin. Bruudah Bill has these things called HAMMER BOMBS that would work GREAT if you got into a raft of these.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Big Tim

Just found this guy...Tony Acetta Jigaroo...It's about 40 years old, 1 1/2oz. ... I will be tossing it at the fish next week, would like to find a few more? I'm going to add some Hookup Baits scent to the tail.

Tim

gstours

It seems like that little jig could be reproduced by others on this site,  if you cant find any more.   just put out you questions. ???

akfish

Sum people have been having luck using red flat falls...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska