My son's 180 Build (1st reel)

Started by xjchad, January 27, 2018, 11:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

PM me your address and I'll send him a few more to rebuild and use. I didn't start until I was 16.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

xjchad

That's very generous of you Keith! Thank you!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

xjchad

Hi guys,
You may have noticed that I edited my post. My wife was a little concerned with me posting our sons name and age along with pictures in a public forum. I just pulled his name and age out of the post.
Keith and Tom, I told my son about your contributions and he's really stoked! He wanted me to make sure and tell you both "Thank you!" For him!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Decker

Quote from: Keta on January 29, 2018, 04:55:42 AM
Good thinking.

Yes.  The Ohana board posts (and all boards & posts in the Welcome! section) are visible to only logged-in members, so not publicly visible on the WWW.   /Joe     

xjchad

Quote from: Decker on January 29, 2018, 04:31:31 PM
Quote from: Keta on January 29, 2018, 04:55:42 AM
Good thinking.

Yes.  The Ohana board posts (and all boards & posts in the Welcome! section) are visible to only logged-in members, so not publicly visible on the WWW.   /Joe     

Good to know! Thanks Joe!

xjchad

Well we've had a lot going on, but we were finally able to get my son started on assembly of his 180.
I was planning to do an adjustable mag kit and still use the plastic spool by epoxying a large aluminum washer to the side of the spool. Unfortunately, it won't clear the clicker pawl.   :-\
We're going to go ahead and build it with as us and then start the search for an aluminum spool to add later since they are getting hard to find.
Here he is beginning assembly, hoping to finish it up today!

Reel 224

Your son is never going to forget that moment with his dad and dad is never going to forget, those are to be cherished for a life time.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

David Hall

It got me inspired to do one with my grandson.  He's doing a nice Penn 65 and I'm doing a crusty ole 10/0.  Right now the project is stalled while he plays in a baseball tournament. 

xjchad

Quote from: David Hall on February 18, 2018, 05:10:33 PM
It got me inspired to do one with my grandson.  He's doing a nice Penn 65 and I'm doing a crusty ole 10/0.  Right now the project is stalled while he plays in a baseball tournament. 

Thanks guys!
Be sure to post a build thread for that 65 and 10/0!

Alto Mare

Looking at his face, he's got this. Save your $$ Chad, he might want to open a shop...very nice. :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Quote from: handi2 on January 28, 2018, 08:58:38 PM
PM me your address and I'll send him a few more to rebuild and use. I didn't start until I was 16.

Keith

Ver nice !

xjchad

My son finished up his Baymaster 180 today!
I couldn't be more proud!  ;D
Here he is putting the drag stack together.

Installing the right side plate

And beaming with pride!

We installed a carbontex drag kit from Smooth Drag, an aluminum shift lever donated by Tom at Cortez Conversions, a set of Newell Speed Bushings, a set of my Spacer Bar Braces, and a custom handle knob. I think it turned out great!  ;D

Gfish

Very nice!
Alot better'n mine. Hmmm... I godda get me some a those cool lookin spacer bars.
I think I'll wait n' see though. I really wanna find an aluminum spool before I do more stuff to it. Might have to get a doner reel that's got one.
Your Son's smile's gonna open doors for him in this life.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!