Garcia Mitchell 305 lefty reel

Started by steelfish, February 01, 2018, 08:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

yep, a lefty reel with the handle on the right side  ;D ::)

those vintage reels where made to work your rod with your right hand and crank the reel with your left one, now this its backwards, so you left guy can crank with your right hand and work the rod with your left hand.

I just got this unique reel from Gfish (Greg) for my tiny "collection" of old reels, nothing big, just few ones I have on the desk of my office.

anyway, I will just put some pics, of the reel, it came already cleaned and lubed, I just add few oil and bit of grease here and there although it wont be fished at all.
the reel came with a broken drag cap but Fred Oakes generously sent me one N.C. thanks again amigo, now I have a complete and working reel.

love the stance and simplicity of the reel
The Baja Guy

steelfish

few more

The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

Love it. I'm planning on fishing mine Saturday.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

cool, what line do you use on it and what kind of fish you are after?

I have to say this could be a nice reel for spotted bay bass and triggers, that would be an awesome fight for the reel on a light rod.

The Baja Guy

newfuturevintage

The 304 and the 314 are some of my favorite "light" reels. The 304 especially, it's just dead simple and matches nicely to the stupid telescoping rods I favor for kayak fishing in freshwater.

Ron Jones

I've loaded it with cheap 20 pound braid and 6 pound floro on top. I put on enough floro that I won't cast down to the braid. I'm targeting speckled trout and other creek fish.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

Quote from: Ron Jones on February 01, 2018, 10:44:14 PM
I've loaded it with cheap 20 pound braid and 6 pound floro on top. I put on enough floro that I won't cast down to the braid. I'm targeting speckled trout and other creek fish.
Ron

yay.. 20# braid its really thin, I also have some 6# yo-zuri hybrid fluoro-nylon line that I used with great sucess on a shimano sonora 2500, If I think in ever use the reel I will put that hybrid line on it.

The Baja Guy