Shimano Calcutta 400 - carbontex upgrade

Started by redsetta, July 12, 2011, 08:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Welcome Jason - good to hear it all went well.
QuoteI have to say that it was a bunch of fun!
This is how it starts! ;) ;D
All the best, Justin
PS Henry - did you get your free spool sorted?
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

JasonF

Thanks!  Now that I have done two CT400's the only question that I have is is the courser side of the carbon drag washer supposed to face out? I hope it is because that is how I put them! J

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nuvole

Steal this thread a bit here  ;D

Will the dog fit into the conquest 50,50s,300f & sumi ika special?

alantani

not sure.  you'd have to get the parts and see.  i have some shimano parts.  if you can get a part number, i can check to see if i have it.  better yet, call shimano at 877-577-0600 with a part number.  then will often send out single parts like this for free.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nuvole

Quote from: alantani on June 11, 2012, 04:40:50 PM
not sure.  you'd have to get the parts and see.  i have some shimano parts.  if you can get a part number, i can check to see if i have it.  better yet, call shimano at 877-577-0600 with a part number.  then will often send out single parts like this for free.  alan

The conquest only run on one way bearings which is something I don't feel good. I'm looking into modification/upgrade hence its impossible for parts number ...>_<...

redsetta

G'day Nuvole,
I don't believe there's room on the set plate of the 50 series to anchor an AR dog, but - as far as I'm aware - the 300 already has a silent dog.
There are so many variants, however, that it's hard to be 100%.
If not, I reckon it's doable. ;)
Cheers, Justin

Lindblom

Hey my name is Linus im a 20 year old boy how loves to fish, but something is wrong whit my calcutta 400b atleast i think so, when i crank the handle its sometimes gets a little bit stuck.
But when i tighten the drag i dosent happen so often, any ideas i did open the reel and did a service on the drag  washers, are they suppose to be dry or drag fat on them. Plz help Linus.

handi2

Quote from: Lindblom on September 18, 2015, 08:30:12 PM
Hey my name is Linus im a 20 year old boy how loves to fish, but something is wrong whit my calcutta 400b atleast i think so, when i crank the handle its sometimes gets a little bit stuck.
But when i tighten the drag i dosent happen so often, any ideas i did open the reel and did a service on the drag  washers, are they suppose to be dry or drag fat on them. Plz help Linus.

Hello Linus,

I'll try to help a bit. What is happening is the top metal drag washer is rubbing the inside plate of the reel. It's too high. That's why when you tighten the drag it starts to go away. When you tighten the drag star is pushes the metal drag washer down away from where it is rubbing.

I would go thru it again using the tutorial's and I'm sure you will get it right.

If you have a proper grease for the drag washers then yes they should be greased. Not too much.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

patlao

Quote from: redsetta on July 12, 2011, 08:33:39 PM
G'day lads, here's a Carbontex upgrade (courtesy of Dawn at Smooth Drag) for the Shimano 400.
I just found Alan's tutorial for the 400,

Hello,

Is this the best/recommended drag upgrade? When searching I came across Alan saying to upgrade it to the Penn ht-100, cut the drags, and to bend the ears on the metal washer, but I don't know if that predates this carbon upgrade.

Thanks,
Plao

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

redsetta

Hi and welcome patlao,
Both are CF, so there's nothing substantive between them (in my view).

Hey Darin,
There are a few minor differences in the bearings, handle and gear ratio (4.7:1 for the 'A' and 5:1 for the 'B' from memory)...

Hope that helps.
Cheers, Justin

Darin Crofton

Thank you for the great tutorial! I'm happy to say this was the first upgrade/reel work I've ever done, just completed and the reel is super smooth and working better than before!
I just put it on a rod and had my wife go through the house pulling drag, she thought I was a little crazy, but it worked great! Next up, drag, sleeve and dog upgrade to my Penn 349.
If I can do it, anyone can  ;D  ;D  ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Realfunone

What are the measurements of the anti reverse bearing? Mines toast, are the ones that smooth drag sells a good choice ? Thanks