Pflueger cloning Shakespeare or vice versa??

Started by festus, February 11, 2018, 12:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I like to read old vintage outdoor magazines, especially those from the 1950s, 60s, and 70s.

The last few days I've seen a couple ads for the Pflueger Supreme 550 and 551.  Maybe it's my imagination but those reels look almost identical to the Shakespeare 2052 and 2062 except for color and a different shaped medallion.

Does anyone know which came first?  The first ad was from Field & Stream, April 1970.  The second came from a 1967 Popular Mechanics. I can't find a schematic for the Pfluegers.

Midway Tommy

They are the exact same reels. Shakespeare purchased Pflueger in 1966. Pflueger ran under its own name until 1969 when they also moved reel manufacturing to Fayetteville, AR. The 550 is the 2052, the 551 is the 2062 & the 600 is the same as the 2081. The Pfluegers were only produced for two years, '67-'69. Exact same parts, just a different color, and because Pflueger Supreme reels had a reputation of high quality, they were about $5 more expensive to the wholesalers/distributors, and in turn, more expensive to the public.

Back to your original question, Shakespeares were first. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

You're a wealth of knowledge Tommy...thanks for sharing so much info. When these reels from the 60's were made, I was just a tot. I missed most of these great reels, when I started seriously fishing we had the 70s and 80s models from Japan and Korea. Plastic and graphite, fish 'em for 2 years and trash 'em. Then next came the bearings. Bearings on this...bearings on that...smooth as silk just long enough to get them out of the store and in your hands. Now we see companies returning to these proven formulas. The Spinfisher Z reels are back, and reels like the new Star are showing up. I find I'm fishing more and more with these old warriors. They just have MoJo. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

I agree, Mike, but I never really got caught up in the '70s & '80s Asian push. I bought a couple of cheaper Japanese rear drags for the kids and quickly saw that with extensive use they would end up with a lot of slop & play, so I stuck with the old standbys. In my mind, even though they may not have all the bells, whistles, marginally lighter weight & what not, just having the confidence that those old war horses will complete a tough day of fishing without fail is enough to keep me loyal.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Amen, brothers, and always remember, for Mo, "mo"jo is essential.

A few of the early Asian reels kept the faith with the older models/styles/durability, but it didn't last too long.

Frank