Kenstix ~ older Penn 20 troubleshoot

Started by Kenstix, February 15, 2018, 04:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Ok, next carefully remove the 4 screws from the pressure plate and install your new CF drag disc, and you can hone the metal drag disc with wet 400-600grit on a glass plate using semi-circular motions if you like.  Then remove the 4 screws holding the metal drag disc to the spool, and install your newly honed 6a.  You will end up with extra uneeded parts.  You may want to use a drop of blue loctite on the 8 screws during install as well.

John 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Kenstix

Cool + Thanks , I have some Blue Loctite as well but not the tan Cal grease ( maybe i'll check eBay) and the Smaller brass plate goes away when I put on the 6A - 30 right ? Is that one of the needs for Shimming because the Brass one and oem Fiber ring are Thicker Than the 6A-30 replacement or Not an Issue  ?

Also wanted to mention that my Pinion looks pristine at least as clean or cleaner ( other than grease ) than either 2 in Pic .  Everything looks Primo inside of this reel Except for the Drag System .

handi2

You don't use the center plate anymore. After its removed you have a flat surface to screw the new drag plate down.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

You might be able to get by w/o Cal's this time sense the CD should come greased, but I always like to clean and re-greaae just for peace of mind.  Tough to tell if you need shims until you reassemble and test.

John
Hope springs eternal

Kenstix

Thanks Keith and john , I will look in my old reel tool + S-water plano and see about the Grease - need to chk anyway . I will post pics , I'll do it when the 6A CF arrives this next week hopefully .

Keith --> " I had a very strict father who always told me "Don't do it at all if you're not gong to do it right ".
My grandpa used to tell me basically the same thing " Either do what You do with Excellence or find something
Else to do "    so ~ 10-4

Kenstix

Donnyboat

Hi Kenstix, you have an order coming from Scotts, see if you can get, 2oz of cals grease, also two or three shims, & if your in dout, get 4 new spring washers as well. good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Kenstix

Thanks Donnyboat ( + others help too) I look forward to Getting the 20 solid. I'll probably just run over local to Sav-on T + Get the washers and maybe some grease if I dont have some here ( been a while but i may still) .
could anybody Render or breakdown where I typically Shim ( or is it typical ~ on these on Pinion i assume . Does the spool look like it hangs a bit to the right ( that I noticed on this 1 )to begin with. or does that indicate anything or not ~ or are they all different ?  Kenstix

handi2

You may not need any shims at all. When you increase the drag the spool will move towards the handle side of the reel.

I rebuilt my 20 with the same parts and no shims were needed. Only bearings, bellvilles, and the new drag. It's a shelf queen and not fished.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Kenstix

After reading through all the Varying ways to do them , I think on the bellevilles I think i'll leave 2 old ones and change 2 with new and Put it back together with new drag + see . I'm seeing too many opinions on the Stacking config. ( but I found a pretty thorough breakdown from John/Tightlines ) I will be Fishing 30-40 lb.  line for Hoo + such ( YF ~ YT) + troll .  standard freespool is fine with me it would probly be a 6 - 12 oz. ( or Lrgr ) Mackerel Anyway .

Kenstix

I only mentioned using 2 old washers as  to be Conservative on the re-assembly not to cut corners, because Now I have more questions than Answers on the B V's .  So Typically , Since I have never rearranged a Reel's spring washer configuration  ~  is there an agreed consensus on just a standard arrangement ( like factory ) for them ?
John, Keith, Alan , whoever - I've nevr really been bothered from all of me Reels for 45+ years to ever even think about it ~ guess i've just used spool and Drag adjustment to my liking + cant attribute these factors to ever farming a nice Fish ( although other things have .  So if the (( )) is the standard config , Should I start there when I go to Reassemble the New drag to check things out after my parts get here ? . I did find My existing small tub of Blue Reel Grease so I'll pick up some Cal's Tan tomorrow + the small washers . 

Tightlines667

Sorry for the late reply, been working on the boat and offshore fishing all weekend.  Great day out there today.

Anyways, don't get too hung up on either the Bellevilles, or the shimming thing.  Just clean, lube, and reassemble with stock(duplicate what you find for Belleville config when you took it apart, if I remember stock was originally ()(), changing to (()) will give you a steeper curve with more max drag, but may require shimming. You can test your max drag at strike, and reel functionality.  If you are unhappy with the drag curve, or have any problems, then think about shimming or changing the bv config.

John
Hope springs eternal

Kenstix

Thanks John , it is kinda what instinct was telling me ( but good to hear it .  Which state + what type of fish bitin' ?

Tightlines667

Quote from: Kenstix on February 20, 2018, 07:12:17 AM

Thanks John , it is kinda what instinct was telling me ( but good to hear it .  Which state + what type of fish bitin' ?

Hawaii.
Mahi, and Shibi (Yellowfin Tuna) for me today, but there has been a pretty good Striped Marlin bite going on since late last week.

Caught 3 yesterday, and went 4 for 9 on Mahi, and 2 for 6 on Shibi today.  I was fishing solo today.  I cut up the tuna, and 2 Mahi, and dropped 53lbs of Mahi on the auction block this evening.
Hope springs eternal

Kenstix

Cool ( We used to Fish Catalina Stripe Tourn )  if Shibi is YF , then what is Ahi ( Bigeye ?  or do U get the Pacific B-fin somewhere with cool enuf water ?  Or is Ahi just the general Tuna name

Tightlines667

Quote from: Kenstix on February 20, 2018, 08:31:38 AM
Cool ( We used to Fish Catalina Stripe Tourn )  if Shibi is YF , then what is Ahi ( Bigeye ?  or do U get the Pacific B-fin somewhere with cool enuf water ?  Or is Ahi just the general Tuna name

Shibi refers to small tuna of both species, Ahi is larger tuna of both species.  Usually if Bigeye are caught they say Bigeye.  Blue in are exceedingly rare here.  Most of what are caught by the Trollers are Yellowfin.   
Hope springs eternal