TLD 25 Lever Drag Washer question

Started by Lumberjack93, July 14, 2011, 09:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumberjack93

Alan, I have a quick question for you.  I have a TLD 25 that was given to me by a friend.  I did a complete tear down /rebuild on the reel and it works great.  Except for one thing:

The blue washer between the lever drag and the metal section needs to be thicker.

Here is the part that I'm talking about ( This is from your pic on the TLD 20/25 teardown)

I tried covering this with electrical tape to build up the thickness, and it works.  However, the tape will move around a bit when the reel is set to a really high drag setting.

Would you try and mill out another washer or is there somewhere else I should be looking to take up this play?  If I only use the blue washer, without building it up, I can only get about 17 lbs of max drag out of it. 

Lumberjack93

Bryan Young

You really don't want to push the drag greater than that...maybe 1@more.  The dog pin will sheer from the side plate.

Regarding the looseness or play, it may mean that you need a new spring between the preset screw and the cam to keep the lever flush with the side plate.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Lumberjack93

Bryan, thanks for the reply.  I need to add some thickness somewhere.  The reel came off of a party boat that fishes for snapper in the gulf of mexico.  The reel was used day for at least 3 snapper seasons.  Wherever the play is,  I can't seem to find it.  But, when I add some thickness ( a few layers of tape cut out with an exacto knife to the blues washer) I get back in the 25+ lb max drag area.

LJ93

alantani

sounds like the surfaces were just worn down.  as for the drag setting, use 50# mono and 15# of drag or 60# mono and 18#'s of drag.  don't go past 20#'s.  the frame could crack.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Lumberjack93

Thanks guys.  I called Shimano this morning and the sent me out a new blue washer.  I'll try that.  I think the old one was just worn down.

LJ93