Fly tying vise

Started by Gobi King, February 19, 2018, 04:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

I like that one David!!! Pretty obvious you were no longer best friends!  ;D

Gobi, looked at the catalog and the Montana Mongoose looked the best of the bunch. Unfortunately the most expensive. Says it handles 28 to 4/0 size. At one time they made a large set of blunt faced jaws that made for a quick changeover and would handle up to a 10/0. I bought several and use them all the time.

This is some of the style's I tie in my shop. I've added the tube body flies as these are very popular here. Great for Sea Bass, Fluke, Stripers, Weakfish, and the guys have already started to order them. Next few months, I wont be able to make enough of them.

Best,  ..  Lou

happyhooker

Quote from: David Hall on February 22, 2018, 10:45:57 PM
I only got in trouble tying one time, I needed some white fiber when the wife's malamute happened to walk by me grabbing my scissors and I fixated on the poor hounds tail!  I got the fly tied amd as it turns out it was the most productive fly I ever tied.  The dog however never came near me again.

At least it wasn't a dog of a fly.

Frank

David Hall

It's been 35yrs and I still get reminded!

David Hall

Bryan Young

Lou's flies are amazing. Pictures do not do them justice.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gobi King

Quote from: David Hall on February 22, 2018, 10:45:57 PM
I only got in trouble tying one time, I needed some white fiber when the wife's malamute happened to walk by me grabbing my scissors and I fixated on the poor hounds tail!  I got the fly tied amd as it turns out it was the most productive fly I ever tied.  The dog however never came near me again.

:o, no pets here but lots of yote fur at home I am saving for mink coat. But girls have some super hairy plush toys they don't play with anymore, time for some snip snip.

One of the guys at the club saves all the far/feather from his hunts, he salts them down and freezes them and then dries them out in the barn.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gobi King

Lou, those are work of art, what size hooks are those and what is the length of the longest fly?

The Mongoose came in today, I have to run some errands and will try it out tonight.

I am keeping my eye open for the Patriot on ebay.

I lubed up the mongoose with some tsi 321 (cut down at 20%)
Fichigan

STRIPER LOU

GK, the top flies are the size of a dollar bill. I tie a lot of 7/0 thru 10/0 siwash and that's what most of those are. 5/0 and up too 12/0+ are the most popular with the largest size getting the nod for the offshore guys. Bunker flies are 8 to 10 inches.

I think you'll be pleased with the Griffin.  I've pretty much tried them all. Renzetti, Regal, HMH, Dyna King etc. The Dyna King I had for one day and sent it back. It was suppose handle up to 10/0. Nope!

Not saying that any of these are not good, but just didn't work for me. The DK had a groove ground into the jaws. That tells you 2 things, one, the placement of the hook is critical and two, the groove needs to help hold the hook securely, which it didn't. It also marked the hooks. The simple cam action of the Griffin is bulletproof and so quick and easy to adjust.

If you end up trying material from fly tyers dungeon, check out his gift packs. They probably average a buck a pack. It ends up being as cheap or cheaper than going to the craft stores. Plus the colors are nearly unlimited and your buying quality material that you know will work.

OK, ya got the stuff so lets see some flies!

Best,  ..  Lou

Gobi King

Lou,

Shut the front door, 10/0, that is huge.

What is brand/model of hooks are the 6/0 and bigger ones?

You asked to see flies, here you go,

Fichigan

Gobi King

Full disclosure, I was volunteering at our club sponsored tying event, I got see some talent.

Material:
I ordered a couple of the gift boxes from the dungeon.

Picked up some small hooks from the meet yesterday, gentleman was retiring and I bought a few Daiichi size 1 to 10 hooks.

Talk about using road kill, check this out

Fichigan

Gobi King

Hey Tiddlerbasher, check out this granite base, my joints are aching just from looking at it.
The guys tell me some in town makes those bases.

Some Ohana, Grandma with a pro fly guy from the Pere Marquette.
Fichigan

STRIPER LOU

GK, absolutely gorgeous work! I love them all but especially the poppers. I don't get a lot of call for freshwater flies here, but on occasion people are looking for wet's, nymphs, muddlers, and wooly buggers.

How's the Mongoose working for you? I have some spare parts and have machined up a few additional to make one more Patriot for shop use.

The hooks are VMC 9171PS. The permasteel  is reasonably rust resistant and seems to be about the best alternative. I haven't had much luck with the SS siwash hooks as I've found them to be on the brittle side and have gotten some breakage on bigger fish.

Keep tying and keep up the great work. Post them up as I really enjoy seeing them!

Thanks and all the best,  ..  Lou

PS the gift boxes from the Dungeon are great deals. The material is very easy to shape and tie with, nearly unlimited colors, and is very lifelike in the water.
Please let me know how you like it.

David Hall

I'll have a dozen or so of Lou's flies on the Morro Bay trip, just to do my part to make sure the golden Carp stays where it is!

Gobi King

Lou, thanks for the compliments, the pros who came in are truly talented, someday I will be able to tie like that.

More pics, check out the fly stations these guys made themselves too.

Fichigan

Gobi King

I made sure I looked at the vise they were using and only 1 guy had a Griffin. The regal dealer was there and so was the Renzetti guy.

It was wonderful to see kids there (mine were visiting their cheesehead cousins). Check out these kids tying flies at our volunteer station from the brotherhood. I treated them to some sandwiches and cookies.
Fichigan