How much Cal's grease on CF/Carbonite drag washers

Started by Gobi King, February 26, 2018, 06:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I know this has probably been asked many times here, but what is the correct amount of drag grease to put on CF washers?

How do you tell if it is good or over grease or even under greased?

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

akfish

With lever drag reels, put on enough to work into the drag washer with your fingers, then essentially remove it with a rag; the point is you want to fully coat the drag washer but don't want there to be any excess that will rub on the drag plate and affect free spool. With star drag reels, just slop it on. The excess will come out when the drag stack compresses when you increase the drag pressure.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

handi2

You can get 100's of answers.

Do as above and you will be fine. If your star drag Reel doesn't put out the drag you need go back and wipe them off. They are still greased just like a lever drag reel. Many star drag reels do not like too much drag grease.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tiddlerbasher

As above :) Don't over think it too much - some is better than none. Most lever drags will require a wipe after application. For star drags I just slather it on and let it squeeze out - been working so far :)
"Don't over think it" - Yep guilty most of the time :-\

Benni3

MarkT

I smear it on then wipe it off of star drags as well as leverdrags. I'm looking to create waterproof, smooth starting drags, not glopping up the reel interior with excess grease.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Chuck750ss

Either way works. And they will work dry.
Asking that question is sorta like asking "Shimano or Penn?" ;)

Gobi King

I am in the process of upgrading both spinning reels and star drags.

Star drag - I ask cuz I light greased cf drags and then blotted away the excess on a clean paper towel and install the drag, put some test line on and tested the drag. I took the drag apart and the drag appeared dry, I mean bone dry, no sheen of the grease. The drag worked fine. This was a 3 disk drag.

Creating a waterproof surface makes sense, work the grease into the material wipe off excess to remove visible layer of grease on cf material?

Thanks,
Fichigan

handi2

Yes i grease them up good then rub the grease in good with my fingers. I then wipe them off on a towel before putting them in. This is for star drag reels. They are waterproof. Guys around here want all the drag they can get.

I have one captain with 4 years on the same set of Carbontex. They are used everyday.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gobi King

Quote from: handi2 on February 27, 2018, 03:49:01 PM
Yes i grease them up good then rub the grease in good with my fingers. I then wipe them off on a towel before putting them in. This is for star drag reels. They are waterproof. Guys around here want all the drag they can get.

I have one captain with 4 years on the same set of Carbontex. They are used everyday.

Keith,
That is good to hear that cf drags last that long with that much use.
I will do a quick test of the reel drag tonight when I am back home.
Thanks a bunch!
Fichigan

ez2cdave

Quote from: Chuck750ss on February 27, 2018, 11:56:49 AMAsking that question is sorta like asking "Shimano or Penn?" ;)

Hmm . . . "Ginger or Mary Ann" ?

My vote is for Mary Ann !

Tight Lines !

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ez2cdave