Shimano Calcutta 400 TE

Started by Gobi King, February 28, 2018, 08:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Greetings,

Muskie guys say the Shimano Calcutta 400 TE is best muskie reel.

1. What are the features of it that makes it a good muskie reel?
2. School me on Calcuttas in general please.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

steelfish

well I really dont think I can school you on calcuttas or what makes the TE edition that good for muskie fishing, but I do know that I love mine paired with a muskie 7.6H muskie rod for inshore fishing in Baja (north sea of cortez) is one of my few Keeper reels, cast a mile, feels really solid and enough drag to stop any inshore fish in this latitudes, I changed the paddle handle for a power handle from a trinidad 14 and it feels great also on a trevala rod for light jig fishing, I also switched the stock drag washers for some Carbontex and now its smooth as silk
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17967.0

the Calcutta TE edition Vs calcutta A or B has bigger drag washers and lot more bearings, frame is machine from billet aluminum instead of cast aluminum, etc, but better check this reviews to learn more about them

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocalcutta300te.html

http://www.calfishing.com/reviews/reels/shimano_calcutta_te/index.html

The Baja Guy

Gobi King

Steelfish,

Thanks for the link and the insight.
Here are the features I see:
1. 16 lbs of drag
2. non-disengaging levelwind
3. machined frame
4. 5:1 gear ratio
5. 4+1 brearing, so there is roller bearing on the handle.

I am not a good caster plus I tore my shoulder few year back and it still bothers me when I cast. So casting capabilities are not top on my list. I am happy with a city mile in-lieu of a country mile.

Cranking capability with 16 lbs of drag and roller bearing makes sense.

The carbontex washer for a Calcutta fits in other baitcasters too.

I am thinking I am get a comparable low ratio 10 lb plus drag reel to cast for muskies with an 8' rod.

This list 2 okumas
https://tigermuskie.net/musky-reels/

Okuma IS-250
Okuma Coldwater low 350

Interestingly, it actually lists Calcutta D as #1 probably cuz TE is not made any more.

Calcutta D is a $400 reel
Coldwater 350 $150 reel

my wallet says Coldwater  ;D

Fichigan

steelfish

Quote from: Gobi King on March 01, 2018, 03:08:17 PM
Steelfish,

Calcutta D is a $400 reel
Coldwater 350 $150 reel

my wallet says Coldwater  ;D

if you dont have any problem buying used reels keep an eye open in BD or FleaBay, I bought my calcutta 400TE with little use for $200 shipped few years ago.
and now, between a new coldwater $150 Vs used calcutta 400TE $200 I would go Calcutta

I will share the time on the water of the calcutta with my recently buy reel, a Komodo 364, impresive 25# drag and a tank of reel in a small package, average $200 bucks if you search the web

it's also considered a muskie reel for thier capabilities
https://tigermuskie.net/okuma-komodo-ss-review/

The Baja Guy

MarkT

I use my Calcutta TE300's mostly for jig and bottom fishing and my Curado's and Lexa's for plastics/lures based on the difference in line retrieved per inch.  The TE is more of a winch and the Curado/Lexa's are better casters.  Both have solid drags.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mo65

Around my neck of the woods the Calcuttas are very popular with the musky guys. I'm still using my old Shimano Bantam 50 for musky...it refuses to die. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

For what its worth I'd use a worked over jigmaster before I'd use.... Any way since your apparently still looking dont toss out the idea of a lever drag. I mean this thing your looking at is already a machined frame, though  this really isnt true, their are lever & star drags both that are lighter & with the same capabilty. Plus unlike the thing your looking at you'll still be able to get parts for the others in 5 years... Jeff

MarkT

Really?  You fish Muskies with a Jigmaster?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Quote from: MarkT on March 01, 2018, 09:52:41 PM
Really?  You fish Muskies with a Jigmaster?

No Mark, it was meant to be a tongue in Cheek comment based on Shimano not really being a favorite of mine. Many like them & have no issue with them. Ive just not had long term success with them... Jeff

mikeysm

Here is a picture of my reels you can consider muskey reels. A Calcutta D, Luna 300, Abu Beast, and a Calcutta 400 2014. All of the reels have been modified. Ceramic bearings and carbon fiber drags. The beast and Calcutta 400 2014 came with carbon drag washers. I also added ceramic Pawls and several other upgrades to each reel.

Mike

philaroman

can't comment on specific models, but consider some general principles (other than drag, which is good enough in many reels, esp. after CF upgrade):

popular opinion of "best muskie reel" is mainly determined by guys that are casting/retrieving big heavy lures w/ added resistance of big blades/bills, non-stop for hours at a time (effectively, that's the same as using a smaller baitcaster as a winch, which you're not supposed to do because it CHEWS UP GEARS)...  they need power/strength for a VERY robust, weed-oriented species; PLUS speed, for correct lure presentations; PLUS manageable reel weight/size to minimize fatigue...  very few models offer ALL THAT IN ONE REEL & it costs BIG BUCKS -- figure out what you DON'T need & don't pay for it!!!

if you're going to target muskies w/ other techniques because of the bad shoulder (trolling, bait, etc.)
AND/OR replace gears more often, yourself -- 'cause you're an AT guy, now ;)
your options open up & your NECESSARY initial inve$$$tment goes down  :)
e.g., availability of affordable replacement gears, well into the future
may be more important than some of the whistles&bells on high-end models

Swami805

I bought a 300TE about when the first came out. I had lost my first calcutta 300 in an unfortunate incident beach landing my kayak in the surf in Big Sur.
I fished the heck out of it mostly using 15-20 mono for throwing swimbaits sometimes for entire days in the salt. Very smooth reel, reminds me of a small gold trinidad with a level wind. I caught some good fish with it and has served me well. I've also used it for salmon mooching and it handles Kings very well. My go to reel for fishing that line class. Still going strong after many years of hard use but I realize I'm likely up a creek if I need parts at some point. Just my 2 cents
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on March 02, 2018, 03:16:51 AM
Very smooth reel, reminds me of a small gold trinidad with a level wind.

I dont know why you said that  ::) ::)

this is a trini 12 and my 400TE

The Baja Guy

Gobi King

Steelfish,

I compared the Okuma Coldwater 350 vs komodo

I like the coldwater for:
1. Lower gear ratio
2. Power Handle

With the price being lower and both having 20 lb plus of drag I am opting for this.

Used Calcutta is an option if I find one or two.

Jeff, I was about to order some jigmaster  ;D

Mike, In Canada, I am pretty sure, have min req for Muskie fishing, drag/line etc so you can horse in the fish quickly and release it. So yes, any beefy reel will do.

Phil,
Good points, no day long casting big heavy lures for me. I troll for most species and I would prefer a lower gear ratio.

Yes Sir, changing out gears is won't be an issue, so replacement parts is consideration (Okumas as looking better here).

Swami, Shimano Tekotas as the go to reel in the Great Lakes Salmon Charters. I myself have 4 Shimano Tekota 800s. But these are monsters reels.  :o

Line capacity wise, I think the low profile reels will be fine, if I have 100 yards of 50 lb braid, I will be good.

Hey Mike, Ceramic Pawls wear less? What is the rational behind the upgrade to ceramic?

Fichigan

steelfish

Quote from: Gobi King on March 05, 2018, 03:51:13 PM
Steelfish,

I compared the Okuma Coldwater 350 vs komodo

I like the coldwater for:
1. Lower gear ratio
2. Power Handle

With the price being lower and both having 20 lb plus of drag I am opting for this.

Used Calcutta is an option if I find one or two.

that sounds nice amigo, I dont have anything agains coldwater reel by okuma, I actually love what okuma is doing in the late years hence my komodo, makaira and some okuma rods I have, calcutta is a great reel but expensive and lately the current fishing techology have put many reel models in the same level or specs than calcutta TE for less money, at the ends its up to your personal needs, wallet and brand preference.

The Baja Guy